Appalled by folks in the station at 11, no silence

........however Max you should get your head round the fact that we were not the aggressor's in both world wars and the wearing of the poppy is just a symbolic gesture of respect to the loss of life of our dead! lots of folk get that........cast your political persuasions aside for once,it won't hurt.

My uncle from Stannington died prematurely when killed in his Mosquito aircraft in Sicily.He was beleived it was a protective cause worth fighting for!

I joined hundreds of others for the service round the Monument at Stannington wearing a simple poppy to remember the grief caused to his family by his death,I did not consider it a time for expression of political beliefs to marr the day!

And yet here you are accusing me of making it political, you couldn't make it up.

By the way, I hope you appreciate how well the monument and surrounding roads and pavements were looking. I don't need a poppy to pay my respects.

That's what I said, where were you at 11:00?

In bed fast asleep.. does that count!

and doctors, nurses, police, etc etc etc dont talk daft

Why the "dont talk daft"?

I was only making fun of the idea that you can expect everyone to be quiet.

I gather you've never been at the RHH or NGH at an outpatient clinic on 11 November then?

The TVs go off, there's an announcement of the time and the silence and everybody stands for 2 minutes.

Granted, if you're in the middle of surgery or saving someone's life in A&E it's not appropriate, but yes, if you're in hospital the silence IS observed where it can be.

I gather you've never been at the RHH or NGH at an outpatient clinic on 11 November then?

The TVs go off, there's an announcement of the time and the silence and everybody stands for 2 minutes.

Granted, if you're in the middle of surgery or saving someone's life in A&E it's not appropriate, but yes, if you're in hospital the silence IS observed where it can be.

you are quite correct i have not, i have been educated

In bed fast asleep.. does that count!

Well I hope you were quiet!:hihi:

Sorry, I replied earlier but got AUTO sensored due to the you tube link of Python Ministry of Arguments! ;

It was a long time ago...can't we move on from it now?

The expectation of the entire country to be involved and think about it, and forcing them to do so with the silence and poppy's...I mean, come on...give people the choice eh? Don't start lecturing them if they don't want to or feel no connection to it - what about the Boer War eh? When's the memorial for that one again...?

tried, there was some really noisy ducks close by on the sea lol, trying to get in on the act, quacking like hell they were

Whitby? You sure you don't mean Seagulls! ;-)

I love Whitby, fishing off the pier, best fun ever! Shame my ex couldn't get past the bridge!!!

Gotta just say, 2 minutes is fine, but I've just tried to watch TV and they're banging on about it far too much, on nearly every channel!!!

Edited by cassiewoofer

It was a long time ago...can't we move on from it now?

The expectation of the entire country to be involved and think about it, and forcing them to do so with the silence and poppy's...I mean, come on...give people the choice eh? Don't start lecturing them if they don't want to or feel no connection to it - what about the Boer War eh? When's the memorial for that one again...?

It's a 100 years. It's a biggie. But rememberece sunday in general remembers all dead servicemen and women and the money raised does good work.

EccoNOOB, you're so desperate to make a point you use phrases like "Screeching in and out" and "Blowing their whistles" generally making a noise...... it's the talking that's disrespectful. Like when you were in school.

All I said in my post was that I was impressed by the manageress..... TBH I had totally forgotten that it was 11am on the 11th of the 11th.and she reminded me there were more important things than my shopping!.... for just two minutes!

We are not that important, and neither are you.

Looks like you are so desprate to make a point you fail to read any of the rest of my post that was clearly ALSO addressing the original poster's references to activities in the railway station.

I am talking about the practicalities of pausing an entire operation for two minutes and this a silent mark of respect being far more than just people not talking as you seem to think.

If everyone who bought a poppy wrote to their MP asking them to ensure veterans are adequately supported after they leave the armed services it would do far more good than the support provided via the British Legion.

Thanks for that. I don't normally bring this up but my grandparents and their 3 children, one of who was my mother, almost starved to death but the Legion couldn't have cared less.

My maternal grandfather, who was a bit of a WW1 hero, had a lot of medals and a written commendation from King George V., which are all still in the family. However, he was wounded and captured, then spent the last 14 months of the war in a POW camp.

Anyway, when the war was over he tried very hard to go back to his coal mining job, but after too many surgeries he could not do the work anymore. When doctors could no longer operate he eventually became bedridden at an early age and died way too young. My point is that when he stopped work, there was no money coming in and no welfare state, so my grandmother went to the Legion , for whom she had sold poppies in rain, snow and blow, and they would not give her a penny. The reason was one of my mother's older brothers had a paper round and earned the princely sum of 2 shillings a week. My mother, bless her, never bought a poppy her entire life for these reasons. She never lacked respect for those who fell, but had no respect whatsoever for the British Legion.

Actually - hospital staff D0 observe the 2 minutes silence - wherever possible - along with their patients if they wish in my experience

---------- Post added 12-11-2018 at 09:14 ----------

Literally thousands at Barkers Pool and the silence was impeccable.

Yes, it was very moving.

I was astonished at the number of people there - must have been thousands

The only sound was the dripping of the rain on peoples umbrellas.

Edited by Daven