Appalled by folks in the station at 11, no silence

I always get a poppy although I often change coats and leave the poppy on the other one left at home then I buy another one and always seem to have lost it when I get back home. When I was still driving I would clean out my car thoroughly in the Spring and without fail there would be a collection of poppies under the seats from the previous November LOL . Amazing how using a seatbelt can do more than just protect you, it can steal your poppies too.;)

As per title really, got to get a train so needed to be in the station at 11. No announcement and felt like I was the only person observing two minutes silence

Such utter disrespect

Im more appalled by the fact that 100 years on we are still celebrating this meat grinder of a war. These 'brave men who gave up their lives for our freedom' were nothing of the sort. They were poor unfortunate people who were brainwashed into believing it was for the good on mankind to go to foreign lands and wage a rich mans war. The ones who were not taken in by the lie were conscripted against their will and made to fight for fear of punishment.

The war to end all wars?

Another lie.

Its disgusting that generations have been made to believe that being in the army and killing other people who have done you NO harm is somehow a good thing.

Guest busdriver1
Im more appalled by the fact that 100 years on we are still celebrating this meat grinder of a war.

How the hell is remembering the loss of life of these poor folk celebrating?

Commemorating their tragic loss of life yes.

Celebrating? I find that extremely offensive.

These 'brave men who gave up their lives for our freedom' were nothing of the sort. They were poor unfortunate people who were brainwashed into believing it was for the good on mankind to go to foreign lands and wage a rich mans war.

some were most definitly brave, some maybe not so but they all went, they all fought to the best of their abilities and many died.

i suspect anyone who went believing it was for the good of mankind, believed it was for the good of the bit of mankind which was part of the empire.

having known some people who were actually there then they certainly weren't brainwashed into believing anything.

The war to end all wars?

it could have been, with a better class of politician

Its disgusting that generations have been made to believe that being in the army and killing other people who have done you NO harm is somehow a good thing.

i think the point is, that you stop them doing harm to you.

How the hell is remembering the loss of life of these poor folk celebrating?

Commemorating their tragic loss of life yes.

Celebrating? I find that extremely offensive.

So?

Offense is taken, not given :)

Guest busdriver1
So?

Exactly the sort of moronic reply I expected. Thanks for confirming my belief.

some were most definitly brave, some maybe not so but they all went, they all fought to the best of their abilities and many died.

I dont question their bravery. I question the need to keep banging on about it and all the pretense that its a commemoration when in fact its nothing of the sort.

Make the current generation feel all warm and fuzzy about something that happened 100 years ago and bingo, you have a fresh supply (should the need arise and it usually does) of new young blood for the next war.

Meanwhile, many many MANY former soldiers are now living on the streets with terrible mental illness and very little hope and the Gov and all these people 'commemorating' the war do exactly zero to help them.

Its a complete farce.

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 18:23 ----------

Exactly the sort of moronic reply I expected. Thanks for confirming my belief.

Glad to be of service :)

So?

I take serious issue with your dismissal of the bravery of the men who fought in WW1 - they were incredibly brave under unimaginably appalling circumstances and for you to deny that is an affront to their memory.

Edit - I hadn't seen your remarks about bravery when I posted this; apologies.

So?

in many circumstances, offense is most definitly given

I dont question their bravery. I question the need to keep banging on about it and all the pretense that its a commemoration when in fact its nothing of the sort.

Make the current generation feel all warm and fuzzy about something that happened 100 years ago and bingo, you have a fresh supply (should the need arise and it usually does) of new young blood for the next war.

Meanwhile, many many MANY former soldiers are now living on the streets with terrible mental illness and very little hope and the Gov and all these people 'commemorating' the war do exactly zero to help them.

Its a complete farce.

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 18:23 ----------

Glad to be of service :)

.............RUBBISH!...........unworthy of further comment!

No announcement

Is an announcement really needed when it has been happening at exactly the same time on exactly the same day of exactly the same month for the last 98 years? :roll: