Appalled by folks in the station at 11, no silence

I happened to be in ALDI (St Mary's Gate) at 11 and was very impressed by the manageress there who announce the 2 minutes silence. You could have heard a pin drop in there. Well done Aldi staff!

Edited by cassiewoofer

I happened to be in ALDI at 11 and was very impressed by the manageress there who announce the 2 minutes silence. You could have heard a pin drop in there. Well done Aldi staff,

that's commendable, especially since they were on the losing side

Is an announcement really needed when it has been happening at exactly the same time on exactly the same day of exactly the same month for the last 98 years? :roll:

given some of the questions asked on here about things being open or closed on public holidays and such like then you really shouldn't be surprised.

train timetables aren't adjusted for today, so people need to get to trains and know which platforms they are going from so expecting people to observe the silence there is a little unrealistic.

I happened to be in ALDI (St Mary's Gate) at 11 and was very impressed by the manageress there who announce the 2 minutes silence. You could have heard a pin drop in there. Well done Aldi staff!

....thus making an obersation of the two minutes silence a compulsory activity for the staff and customers whether they wanted to or not.

As others have said, why was such action necessary??? Why are people not free and able to pay their respects in their own ways without the forced methods, finger pointing and criticism.

Its exactly the same with the railway station as brought up by the OP. They state they are "disgusted" with people not observing it and the station not announcing it but its not that simple.

IF the station did announce it, the station staff would feel compelled to down tools and observe it, the drivers and conductors would have to stop and observe it, the trains would have to cease running whilst it was being observed and that would not only disrupt the timetables themselves but involve major planning from stations, line controllers, signallers and train companies.

Customers would have no option but to wait whilst it was being observed and potentially be delayed as a result of it.

All of which is again, is creating a compulsion on something whether or not a person wants to participate.

"Lest we forget". No we certainly shouldn't. But does that necessary mean that 100 years and several generations after the event the populus should be mandatory forced into a set method of rememberence whether they are inclined to or not. Why that SPECIFIC event? There are lots of other wars. There are lots of other horrendous crimes against the human race and mass fatality. Why are they ignored and others are given the spotlight? Why are people compelled to respect THIS event but free to choose if and how they respect others?

Freedom is what was fought for. Freedom is what people should have.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I didn't observe the two minutes silence, should I feel guilty? No, because throughout the year I respect those who have fallen in other ways.

Neither do I wear a poppy as this would align me with all the hypocrites in politics and businesses together with world leaders who have gained what they have through the blood of millions, both military and civilian. You see them year after year with their faux sympathy attending remembrance services knowing full well it was their ilk who caused conflict. I include religious leaders too as they have the moral authority to bring pressure to bear on our leaders to prevent conflict.

........however Max you should get your head round the fact that we were not the aggressor's in both world wars and the wearing of the poppy is just a symbolic gesture of respect to the loss of life of our dead! lots of folk get that........cast your political persuasions aside for once,it won't hurt.

My uncle from Stannington died prematurely when killed in his Mosquito aircraft in Sicily.He was beleived it was a protective cause worth fighting for!

I joined hundreds of others for the service round the Monument at Stannington wearing a simple poppy to remember the grief caused to his family by his death,I did not consider it a time for expression of political beliefs to marr the day!

another thing that matters is a donation (poppy) to the British legion, it is for solders and ex who are alive know.

some people havent thought hard and long enough of what the poppy is for.

Funny you should mention money, been given this eye opening article, no idea how accurate it is but..........

eccoNOOB

They don't need to down tools! They just need to shut up! Silence is a simple thing and for two minutes! The trains don't need to stop, everything doesn't need to stop.... everyone can just SHUTTUP for two minutes!

God some people just need to be heard all the time!

Oh come on. Dont be so rediculous.

Are you saying that during the "2 minutes silence" mark of respect you would be perfectly happy for the trains to be screeching in and out, the despatchers to keep blowing their whistles, passengers to be disembarking, luggage and trolleys trundelling around the place.....

....You would be happy for the barristas and cashiers to carry on scanning items and frothing up their coffees as long as they did it without speaking??

I would think it perfectly obvious what happens when most businesses (particuarly) customer facing roles observe such things.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka

Seems to be a competition to “out-remembrance” others these days - it’s equally disrespectful.

“Poppies too small”

“Leaves are pointing wrong way”

Weird.

People can pay tribute however they wish it’s not for others to impose on people.

seems to be a competition to “out-remembrance” others these days - it’s equally disrespectful.

“poppies too small”

“leaves are pointing wrong way”

weird.

People can pay tribute however they wish it’s not for others to impose on people.

exactly............

Funny you should mention money, been given this eye opening article, no idea how accurate it is but..........

If everyone who bought a poppy wrote to their MP asking them to ensure veterans are adequately supported after they leave the armed services it would do far more good than the support provided via the British Legion.