Four dead in Darnall crash 09/11/2018

Isn’t it the case that the police are supposed to suspend a pursuit if there is an assessment that the car they are chasing could cause danger to others?

There will be a serious inquest into this.

At the moment it is not clear whether there was an active pursuit at the time of the collision. From the various reports I've read the impression I have is that there had been a pursuit 'earlier' but not at the time of the accident. Of course, this doesn't mean to say that they would have started driving any better if the police had abandoned any pursuit.

What is also not clear is why the police initiated a pursuit in the first place. It may yet transpire that they had very, very good reasons to want to speak to the occupants. As they say 'watch this space'.

RIP to the poor victims of this tragedy.

«* do gooders and human rights campaigners*» never let a lazy cliche get in the way of a good argument

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

At the moment it is not clear whether there was an active pursuit at the time of the collision. From the various reports I've read the impression I have is that there had been a pursuit 'earlier' but not at the time of the accident. Of course, this doesn't mean to say that they would have started driving any better if the police had abandoned any pursuit.

What is also not clear is why the police initiated a pursuit in the first place. It may yet transpire that they had very, very good reasons to want to speak to the occupants. As they say 'watch this space'.

RIP to the poor victims of this tragedy.

I read online that the driver was wanted for attempted murder and had been featured on the stars most wanted list recently. A name was mentioned but I won’t repeat it on here...

I read online that the driver was wanted for attempted murder and had been featured on the stars most wanted list recently. A name was mentioned but I won’t repeat it on here...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

using A WEAPON IN APUBLIC PLACE WHICH KILLS PEOPLE SHOULD BE MURDER !

accidently killing people...which you didnt deliberately hit is manslaughter...its the law

---------- Post added 10-11-2018 at 19:47 ----------

«* do gooders and human rights campaigners*» never let a lazy cliche get in the way of a good argument

does that mean youre a do badder? :suspect:

Where's the LIKE button ??

Exactly, if a car fails to stop when the police are obviously asking you too, blue lights and siren etc, then maybe it should be mandatory that a unmarked car follows at a safe distant at the same time deploying the police chopper to follow. You cannot weigh the cost of that against the likes of having four people losing their lives.

accidently killing people...which you didnt deliberately hit is manslaughter...its the law

---------- Post added 10-11-2018 at 19:47 ----------

does that mean youre a do badder? :suspect:

I haven't said it was murder - just that it should be.

We all know that accidents happen but this wasn't an accident or 'just' dangerous driving - which may be classed as manslaughter.

They killed people by failing to stop when ordered to by the police and that should not be classed as 'accidently' killing someone - they have disregarded the law and shown no regard for other people - it was very intentional act to behave as they did and put others at risk of being killed.

I haven't said it was murder - just that it should be.

We all know that accidents happen but this wasn't an accident or 'just' dangerous driving - which may be classed as manslaughter.

They killed people by failing to stop when ordered to by the police and that should not be classed as 'accidently' killing someone - they have disregarded the law and shown no regard for other people - it was very intentional act to behave as they did and put others at risk of being killed.

Extract from Wikipedia -

Manslaughter by gross negligence

Under English law, where a person owes a duty of care (either by statute or by the neighbour principle[8]) and is negligent to such a degree that consequently the law regards it as a crime[9] (namely the person has been grossly negligent) and that person causes the victim to die, she may be liable for gross negligence manslaughter.[10] The defendants in such cases are often people carrying out jobs that require special skills or care, such as doctors, teachers, police or prison officers, or electricians, who fail to meet the standard which could be expected from a reasonable person of the same profession.[11] In R v Bateman[12] the Court of Criminal Appeal held that gross negligence manslaughter involved the following elements:

the defendant owed a duty to the deceased to take care;

the defendant breached this duty;

the breach caused the death of the deceased; and

the defendant's negligence was gross, that is, it showed such a disregard for the life and safety of others as to amount to a crime and deserve punishment.

The House of Lords in Seymour[13] sought to identify the mens rea for "motor manslaughter" (negligently causing death when driving a motor vehicle). Reference was made to R v Caldwell and R v Lawrence[14][15] which held that a person was reckless if:

he did an act which in fact created an obvious and serious risk of injury to the person or substantial damage to property; and

when he did the act he either had not given any thought to the possibility of there being any such risk or had recognised that there was some risk involved and had nonetheless gone on to do it.

The conclusion was that for motor manslaughter (and, by implication, for all cases of gross negligence), it was more appropriate to adopt this definition of recklessness. Consequently, if the defendant created an obvious and serious risk of causing physical injury to someone, there could be liability whether there was simple inadvertence or conscious risk-taking. It was no longer a defence to argue that the negligence had not been gross.

Murder, even if in caps, has to be an intent to kill. Otherwise it's manslaughter.

Don't be ridiculous!

There was an old woman in Devon or Cornwall I think, who killed two people on a pedestrian crossing because she had lost her glasses and didn't see them.

Should she be charged with murder? :suspect: