Free alternative to MS Office

Can we get back on track please?;)

Whilst my preference is for LibreOffice some people can't live without the ribbon.

Which LibreOffice has if people really want it.

Whilst it is not a full package, the only advantage of a fully paid version is the ability to save word processor docs as old .doc format. Weird!

It's missing a lot more than just saving in old MS Office file formats.

Which LibreOffice has if people really want it.

It's missing a lot more than just saving in old MS Office file formats.

The best LibreOffice at present is 6.1.3.2 as you can directly output document files to .epub and having visited M$ forums they don't appear to ever intend to offer this option in MS Office.

What bits are missing? I've not explored everything, just looked at the basics. The interface looks more pleasing and clearer to an MS one. ;)

Oh and like WPS it won't work with a screen reader, unlike LibreOffice which works with any screenreader on any platform.

What bits are missing? I've not explored everything, just looked at the basics. The interface looks more pleasing and clearer to an MS one. ;)

I posted a link to SoftMaker's comparison table in post #2.

which sellers did you use please ?

I’ve seen several on amazon and ebay, some of which look dodgy and I’d rather not risk cash purchasing a blacklisted key.

PM me if you don’t want to mention it in public.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.

It’s no hidden secret. I just use Amazon. Using Amazon also protects your purchases so if and it is a big if from my experiences, it doesn’t work out then you’ll get fully refunded by Amazon.

I always use the sellers with the highest number of positive reviews and have them checked via fakespot.com

Here is a current one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MICROSOFT-OFFICE-2016-Digital-License/dp/B07GN3FQGC/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1542012464&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=office+2016

Foe Windows 10 Pro under £7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-Key-Bits-Money-back/dp/B07FZ2WXL4/ref=pd_aw_sim_65_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FZ2WXL4&pd_rd_r=ab59760f-e657-11e8-8588-2dcc8163d3e7&pd_rd_w=lehaS&pd_rd_wg=zlkJQ&pf_rd_i=mobile-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=edbf09e8-4620-40f4-a0b3-ad5da0ba099f&pf_rd_r=SASZGDHAQ7YQEGAD73BP&pf_rd_s=mobile-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=SASZGDHAQ7YQEGAD73BP

Edited by ez8004

Sorry for the late reply.

It’s no hidden secret. I just use Amazon. Using Amazon also protects your purchases so if and it is a big if from my experiences, it doesn’t work out then you’ll get fully refunded by Amazon.

I always use the sellers with the highest number of positive reviews and have them checked via fakespot.com

Thank you, I’ll check them out :)

Thank you, I’ll check them out :)

For the basic office tasks I do, I find Open Office works well on my Linux PC. On Windows, I go for Office 2016.

Thanks for the links ez8004. I'd not thought to look on Amazon.

I've bought Office 2016 & Windows 7 & 10 from eBay. I would imagine a tad more risky than Amazon. Only one seller tried it on but eBay chased the £2.50 back from them... that was Windows 10 Pro.

I know I am going off topic (moderators shoot me! :hihi:) I found out at work recently that if I install Windows 10 Pro insider (slow ring) and enter the Windows 7 Pro licence, Windows 10 gets activated! I think this was already posted some time ago. Just wondering whether to take advantage of MS Office 2019 for £12 through work.

Pay through work? Robbing sods!!

When I was the IT manager I used to let staff have it for free. Still, £12 isn't too bad.

Some workplaces have a volume license that includes employees using it at home.

I've got a mate who works at Microsoft and got me some licenses (for windows 10) from the on campus shop at Redmond, not free, but fairly cheap.

Some workplaces have a volume license that includes employees using it at home.

It did, It was an education VL.

I've used Open Office for years, it's very good and free.

If you want MS office but without the hefty price tag then you could buy an activation key from eBay or there are many reputable websites that offer them too.