Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

Marks attempted to construct the defence that his smuggling operations were directed to Australia and that he never exported to the United States, and therefore never broke US law.[70] He again cultivated the myth that he was a spy for MI6, and claimed that he was set up by the CIA because he had discovered that CIA agents were smuggling drugs into Australia.[71] He and his lawyers spent hours reviewing the phone tapping evidence to make the coded conversations about smuggling into America seem to suggest that the drugs were actually being smuggled into Australia; research was done into weather patterns to prove tentative links between what was said by Marks and his associates and what was happening at the time in Australia.[72]Marks and his wife were extradited in 1989, and he was given the Miranda rights on the flight from Spain to the US.[73]

Not according to wikipedia.  Although he did try to present that as a defence (it wasn't accepted).

On 12/10/2018 at 10:07 AM, Cyclone said:

That didn't seem to be your opinion several pages ago.

Well it was. 

Post #156 would suggest otherwise, particularly if you read it in the context of the posts that I was replying to when you quoted me...  my post #153 and the post before #152 that I was replying to.

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Post #156 would suggest otherwise, particularly if you read it in the context of the posts that I was replying to when you quoted me...  my post #153 and the post before #152 that I was replying to.

I would expect people to be able to express their opinion without insults.

So would I.  But free speech means that they don't have to if they don't want to.  QED Free speech is alive and well in the UK.

21 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So would I.  But free speech means that they don't have to if they don't want to.  QED Free speech is alive and well in the UK.

Agreed, and I certainly hope that free  speech is alive and well.

Edited by spilldig

On 11/29/2018 at 7:25 AM, Cyclone said:

Removed?

You speak words and someone plucks them out of the ether and they're gone.

Fear of expressing an opinion though, that's not a problem with free speech, that's a problem that your fearing the reaction to what you say because you know that it's likely to cause one.  Perhaps then you should consider whether there is a problem with what you want to say, rather than a problem with all the people that react to it...

Yes removed from this forum.

Yes fear of expression is a huge problem.  If people fear speaking about something they will self-censor and therefore issues affecting many people will not be addressed.  These will manifest into much more serious problems, like the growth of the far-right and religious extremism.

As we’ve recently seen a rise of in last 10 years.   The UK censorship ‘hate’ laws have also create a whole host of other issues, almost anything you say, someone, somewhere could decide to be offended by it.  So now everyone is subject to a criminal investigation, prosecution, and possible imprisonment, just like nazi Germany.

Edited by 26b-6

This forum doesn't guarantee free speech, nor is it representative of the country or the law.

Interesting piece about far-right front 'Justice for Women and Children' on Newsnight just now.

It is groups like this who are part of the 'we want the freedom to say what we like'  campaign yet when the BBC turned up to film one of their rallies, they were firstly verbally abused  and told to stop filming, then threatened and eventually they had their cameraman attacked by a group of them.

They obviously have their own 'special' form of freedom of speech. :suspect: