Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

Oh right, so you want to restrict their right to free speech, I see.

11 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Oh right, so you want to restrict their right to free speech, I see.

Where did I say that. I said they should be able to debate without insult, Are you saying they should feel free to insult people ?

If you're saying that they shouldn't be free to insult then that's a restriction on free speech...

On 28 November 2018 at 10:49 PM, leviathan13 said:

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore.

I've asked this before and not received an answer so there's probably no harm in asking again.

Who is actually stopping you making up your own mind?

I and everybody I know makes up their own mind so who is not allowing you to?

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If you're saying that they shouldn't be free to insult then that's a restriction on free speech...

If you want to insult people that's your choice but for myself I will carry on debating something and try and avoid insulting people, so I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I didn't say that I want to insult people, where did you get that from?

If you can't see that what you're requiring is a restriction on free speech then I'm not sure you've even really understood the topic though.

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I didn't say that I want to insult people, where did you get that from?

If you can't see that what you're requiring is a restriction on free speech then I'm not sure you've even really understood the topic though.

In post 159.

If saying what you want is an offence against the law of the land , then YES that is a restriction on what you say. 

..and 

if you state that you are free to say it and then get taken to court by the state for it* - that just won't wash.

*In the past the punishment has included a death sentance and currently includes incarceration

Edited by Flanker7

On 11/28/2018 at 11:10 PM, tinfoilhat said:

If there’s something you are frightened of saying, PM me in strictest confidence and I’ll say it for you. 

I'm not frightened of saying what i think and feel; what irks me is that, in the modern day, i can be shut down because someone is offended. Even only 10 years ago, thoughts and opinion were debated. Now, if i say something that goes against the collective hive-mind, i am called something with '-ist' at the end.

I should be allowed to say what i feel, and someone who opposes my opinion should have the right to pull me on it and discuss it. But simply shutting the argument down with 'you're -ist' isn't good enough, however it's how free speech is being restricted. Part of growing up is dealing with uncomfortable situations, but this is being watered down because feelings are more important than knowledge and understanding.

1 hour ago, leviathan13 said:

what irks me is that, in the modern day, i can be shut down because someone is offended.

I shall ask you once again.

By who?

On 11/9/2018 at 3:02 PM, ANGELFIRE1 said:

From The Telegraph, " Labour has had a chequered history with blackboards, most notably in the 1980s when several hard-Left London councils banned the word in favour of "chalk boards" as part of a crackdown on "racist" terminology "

1.  It's not the 1980's

2.  We're not in the few London areas this pointless article refers to, neither is the majority of Britain

3. Blackboard is still a commonly used and socially acceptable word to this day

On 11/11/2018 at 2:36 PM, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Oh dear, I believe you are now just acting daft for the sake of argument. My initial post that blackboard to whiteboard was done for racial implications was poo pood by several posters. I just reiterated that some Liebour council's did indeed act to change the name from blackboard to whiteboard for the racial implication. It's not too hard to understand is it. If our friends of a different colour can be upset by the term blackboard, surely as a Limey or Pom I can be offended by the term whiteboard. Yes/No.

Angel1

Seeing as your article wasn't about any of your friends being offended, but actually about a few regional politicians being offended on their behalf, you would have to go back to the 80's and have someone offended on your behalf, if you really want your little slice of outrage equality.

Edited by RootsBooster

18 hours ago, spilldig said:

In post #159

No, I definitely didn't.  I commented on what YOU want to do, I said nothing about what I want to do.

8 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

I'm not frightened of saying what i think and feel; what irks me is that, in the modern day, i can be shut down because someone is offended. Even only 10 years ago, thoughts and opinion were debated. Now, if i say something that goes against the collective hive-mind, i am called something with '-ist' at the end.

I should be allowed to say what i feel, and someone who opposes my opinion should have the right to pull me on it and discuss it. But simply shutting the argument down with 'you're -ist' isn't good enough, however it's how free speech is being restricted. Part of growing up is dealing with uncomfortable situations, but this is being watered down because feelings are more important than knowledge and understanding.

So you're upset that other people can describe you as an xxx-ist, because they perceive that you are when you say certain things?

So, you'd, like for them not to say that?  Like, a restriction, on what they can say?

Edited by Cyclone