Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

I think that's what Albert is getting at .. a few years ago there was no such thing as "hate crime"..things are being criminalised that used not to be... remember characters like "Alf Garnett" and "Eddie Booth"?

become abit of a catch-all for things that were previously categorised as discrimination.

I would imagine he’s talking about things which are perceived to be socially unacceptable rather than illegal and to a limited extent I would agree.

"Free speech" never meant that you could say anything you like without any repercussions socially. So if he is talking about that, he's fundamentally misunderstood the concept of free speech. It never meant "free from consequences".

I would imagine he’s talking about things which are perceived to be socially unacceptable rather than illegal and to a limited extent I would agree.

socially unacceptable does not mean you can't say it. Just be prepared for others to use their right to free speech to call out out on what you have said.

I have noticed in the last few years that we as a Nation are now restricted as to what we can say or write .

This situation is now restricting every day conversation and leads to a Big brother type situation.

Unless your everyday conversation is littered with words like ****, slag, bitch, spastic, poofter, coon etc then that seems highly unlikely.

As others have asked, short of words like the above, what is it you can't say but want to?

I have a long standing offer for anyone who thinks they can't say something, to PM me and I'll say it for them. My inbox is still completely available.

Here you are, one for you to discuss. A blackboard apparently slights our coloured friends somehow, I have no idea why or how. It's summat you write on in school, period.

But here is the rub for sake of argument, the whiteboard is now the old blackboard. But hang on a minute, the term whiteboard offends me because I am white, why has the term whiteboard not been removed. That's just an illustration of how rediculous things have become.

Angel1.

What would you like to say but can't?

Hmmm... :huh:

... I think I may have spotted a paradoxical conundrum here. :suspect:

Here you are, one for you to discuss. A blackboard apparently slights our coloured friends somehow, I have no idea why or how. It's summat you write on in school, period.

But here is the rub for sake of argument, the whiteboard is now the old blackboard. But hang on a minute, the term whiteboard offends me because I am white, why has the term whiteboard not been removed. That's just an illustration of how rediculous things have become.

Angel1.

My bold=

You do realise that the term “coloured people” is not socially acceptable?

Educate yourself old man= http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

The new crime of hate speech is an example of how our freedom of speech is being curtailed. On the surface, it appears to be a good thing but just how wide is its net? It seems to be a way of suppressing debate about immigration, multi-culturalism and the impact of Islam on western countries. I wonder when Sinead O'Connor will be hearing a knock on her door.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/06/they-are-disgusting-sinead-oconnor-never-wants-to-spend-time-with-white-people-again-8109826/

Using certain words is becoming less common, but you can still say almost anything, but with different words.

Angel1.

Angel, may I suggest you stop buying into all the nonsense? It's making you paranoid. Nobody has ever been offended by a blackboard being called a blackboard.

'Cos it's black innit.

Guest makapaka
"Free speech" never meant that you could say anything you like without any repercussions socially. So if he is talking about that, he's fundamentally misunderstood the concept of free speech. It never meant "free from consequences".

He never said anything about free speech.

He never said anything about free speech.

It's the title of the thread....?