Can football clubs stop traffic legally

You don't need such authorisation in an emergency, about 14 years ago all of Eastern Canada and most of North Eastern US were hit by a massive power outage. There were guys on their way home from work directing traffic at intersections with lights, all over the place and drivers were co-operating, it was amazing to watch.

I don't think that's true in the UK in a legal sense.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 08:14 ----------

Very comprehensive answer from Biotechpete.

During my time driving buses we repeatadly tried to get the zebra crossings on Shoreham Street replaced by pelican crossings. They would not do it and they did not state a reason. Traffic was held up because for some reason the football supporters coming out are allowed to continuosly cross and never give a vehicle the chance to move.

During my time driving buses we repeatadly tried to get the zebra crossings on Shoreham Street replaced by pelican crossings. They would not do it and they did not state a reason. Traffic was held up because for some reason the football supporters coming out are allowed to continuosly cross and never give a vehicle the chance to move.

I believe Bramall Lane is usually closed to traffic by SYP, just before and after the matches to allow the overspill of supporters into the street, I'm not sure about Shoreham St, but I would imagine there are similar issues until the supporters have dispersed. Being a regular at Hillsborough I know there are similar issues with supporters on the roads around the ground particularly just before and after the matches where there is a danger of people getting knocked over, I'm sure a few minutes patience is better than that risk.

Pretty sure Shoreham St is closed, or at least is closed on busy matchdays.

Maybe just the stretch between Cherry St and Charlotte Road?

I can remember in the 60/70s when a big crowd attended we walked from Hillsborough to town along Penistone Rd mingling with the traffic , and it wasn,t until you got to Shalesmoor that the crowd thinned out and you could walk on the pavement. Then up to Fitzalan square for the first edition of Green,Un. at 5.30.

So, some cars were legally parked on the road. You arrived in a truck and didn’t have the skill to get through easily. But you managed in the end.

All that outside one of the oldest football grounds in the country, with one of the highest attendances

Cool story bro.

30 years and no accidents, my skill levels must be very low. As for the cars "parked legally" I would say that cars parked at each side of the road making a single carriageway is most definately illegal parking. Truck trying to negotiate a narrow road due to inconsiderate motorists, meets up with a fire tender or ambulance both with blue lights coming towards you, I just hope if this scenario was for real that the emergency vehicles were not coming to your assistance. But hey ho just because this road and the vehicles almost blocking it were close to one of the oldest football grounds in the Country, with its large attendences makes it right somehow to block emergency vehicles.

I assume from your reply you may be one of the type of driver that does not give way to emergency vehicles.

ps. Football might be life or death to you, but the only good thing about football in my opinion is that all the idiots are contained for a couple of hours inside a stadium.

Have a nice day tomorrow watching the nancy boys diving for glory, while I watch a mans sport, Rugby.

Angel1.

Wasn't this back in the 80's tho??

Cos you retired from truck driving quite a few years ago.

It must have been a few years ago as they said they were heading to the Roundabout(Now long gone)

Aye, finished in 2005 so it was a few years ago. When the Stocksbridge bypass opened May 1988 it ended the need to negotiate going through Hillsbro.

Angel1.

Yes, Football Clubs are entitled to close Public Rights of Way. However the situation is more complicated. Any road closures need local authority approval in advance and there is a cost implication.

However the Police can close roads to traffic (as often happens in the case of accidents) and I believe they are responsible for closing roads (or part of roads) around football grounds.

In this case, ignore the directions of an officer in uniform at your peril.

i was not asking about whether or not to obey the police. i wasd asking about the lackies paid or otherwise of what is essentially a business

And you got a very comprehensive answer in post #12

Pretty sure Shoreham St is closed, or at least is closed on busy matchdays.

Maybe just the stretch between Cherry St and Charlotte Road?

Shoreham St doesn't get closed on match days