Derek Dooley article

Read the article earlier, was very interesting.

A link to an article in today's Daily Mail about the one and only Derek Dooley.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6364423/How-Derek-Dooley-Mr-Sheffield.html

Good article.

In the photo v Leeds United where Derek is facing the goalie, the two players behind him are John Charles and Jackie Sewell, they weren't bad either.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 00:09 ----------

The bit about Derek leaving his bakery job (it was Fletcher's) and taking a pay cut to manage the Owls seems amazing, Didn't realise Wednesday were such cheapskates but am reminded of when they signed Nigel Pearson in 1987 they told him that they could only pay him the same wage he was getting at Shrewsbury, (Shrewsbury I ask you!). He came anyway as the Owls were in a higher division.

Edited by St Petre
add

Very proud to have met him on many occasions saw him most days collecting his paper on Meadowhead, he would chat to everyone on any subject always with a smile on his face R I P Derek

he certainly was a to man,swfc saga was wrong and also i think i am correct as its before my time,was his goal scoring record the owls best pre-war?,my dad said,never mentioned the actual game , he ran from half way,3 players were pushed aside and him,2 fullbacks a goal keeper and the ball all ended up in the net,goal allowed,sounds great,pity its not like that these days,pity he never got to his best playing age ect,for the game,but great days ,pity we cant find another goal scorer for our sorry plight we find ourselves in at the moment,nice topic

I have a vague memory of going to Bramall Lane to watch a reserve game, Blades v Owls.

Dooley was playing and again a vague memory there were 8000 there on the day.

Anymore old gits like me remember that match ?

he certainly was a to man,swfc saga was wrong and also i think i am correct as its before my time,was his goal scoring record the owls best pre-war?,my dad said,never mentioned the actual game , he ran from half way,3 players were pushed aside and him,2 fullbacks a goal keeper and the ball all ended up in the net,goal allowed,sounds great,pity its not like that these days,pity he never got to his best playing age ect,for the game,but great days ,pity we cant find another goal scorer for our sorry plight we find ourselves in at the moment,nice topic

Pre which war?

Pre which war?

A lot of goals Derek scored wouldn't be allowed today unfortunately, bundling ball, goalie over line etc.

Edited by St Petre
add

A lot of goals Derek scored wouldn't be allowed today unfortunately, bundling ball, goalie over line etc.

And that has ruined football for many.

Hi all, My dad was a great Wednesday fan even though we lived in Heeley, closer to united's ground.

I remember, I think it was in the 50's, that Dooley was known as FIVE GOAL DOOLEY. I was not a soccer fan, but remember him scoring those 5 goals. What a good player he was.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 11-11-2018 at 10:54 ----------

Hi all, My dad was a great Wednesday fan even though we lived in Heeley, closer to United's ground.

I remember, I think it was in the 50's, that Dooley was known as FIVE GOAL DOOLEY. I was not a soccer fan, but remember him scoring those 5 goals. What a good player he was.:thumbsup:

And that has ruined football for many.

I agree and now the powers that be are on about changing the penalty kick rule to a free kick for the opposition if the goalie saves and pushes it out

whatever you may be a owl or a blade he was a sheffield legend,a well respected man ,wherever he went,pity we dont have a player of his stature a swfc today