Taxi knowledge test sheffield

just a thought, doesn't every driver think the route they use to get from a to b is the best way to go.

My Bold

The best for whom?

Taxi drivers often ask me which route I want them to take. I just say, whichever you think will be quickest. They then resort to satnav, clearly having failed to get any hints from me of where "Meadowhead" might be.

I booked one to wadsley, first thing he drove past our house at lanetop, we have a low number,I thought every body knew the lowest No was nearest town,told him where we were gong I told halifax rd where is that,, I. Had to tell him every turn, I reported him, worst one I ever had.

Edited by cuttingedge

I've mentioned on previous threads about taxi driver not knowing where Sheffield Midland Station was - from ASDA at Handsworth!

Some of the above post/

that could be they are licence in other city's, and have no knowledge of Sheffield?

I booked one to wadsley, first thing he drove past our house at lanetop, we have a low number,I thought every body knew the lowest No was nearest town,told him where we were gong I told halifax rd where is that,, I. Had to tell him every turn, I reported him, worst one I ever had.

Find it amusing,someone complaining about lack of knowledge of taxi drivers then promply books a cab to Halifax road at WADSLEY.

That's my reason for using Uber right there. They know where you want to go and how to get there, no need to direct them, no need to pay in cash.

And how to get there, by flippin Car I hope. :hihi:

1. Is it computer based exam? Or

2. Is it written exam?

It's currently a written exam, you get 1 hour to complete. This will be changing to a computer based exam early 2019.

3. What is the difference between "route test" and "District of Sheffield" Test?

A route test are specific location to location I.e. sheffield Wednesday stadium to Meadowhall. A district of sheffield test is district to district I.e. Norton to woodseats. For both sections you need to name each road to get from one place to the other using the quickest/shortest route.

4. Can you please provide a sample of the above both Tests?

An example of each is above but no samples available and will not be provided by licensing services.

5. I understand there are three sections of Test. Should be re appeared all those three sections again even if I passed one or two of them?

80% pass rate is required for each section. You fail one section the while test will need to be resit.

The test itself is pretty difficult and requires A lot of studying to pass. Ive have a wealth of experience with roads in Sheffield and it's not easy to name every road on a route that could go from Crystal Peake to grenoside.

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 12:31 ----------

That's my reason for using Uber right there. They know where you want to go and how to get there, no need to direct them, no need to pay in cash.

Uber use drivers licensed by sheffield city council and therefore will have passed the knowledge test. The downside of uber is that they can use drivers within Yorkshire so a chesterfield driver that may not have a clue about a single road in Sheffield and wouldn't have done the knowledge test could take you.

Is there anything in the test about how to use your indicators or what a halt sign is ?.

:hihi::hihi:

1. Is it computer based exam? Or

2. Is it written exam?

It's currently a written exam, you get 1 hour to complete. This will be changing to a computer based exam early 2019.

3. What is the difference between "route test" and "District of Sheffield" Test?

A route test are specific location to location I.e. sheffield Wednesday stadium to Meadowhall. A district of sheffield test is district to district I.e. Norton to woodseats. For both sections you need to name each road to get from one place to the other using the quickest/shortest route.

4. Can you please provide a sample of the above both Tests?

An example of each is above but no samples available and will not be provided by licensing services.

5. I understand there are three sections of Test. Should be re appeared all those three sections again even if I passed one or two of them?

80% pass rate is required for each section. You fail one section the while test will need to be resit.

The test itself is pretty difficult and requires A lot of studying to pass. Ive have a wealth of experience with roads in Sheffield and it's not easy to name every road on a route that could go from Crystal Peake to grenoside.

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 12:31 ----------

Uber use drivers licensed by sheffield city council and therefore will have passed the knowledge test. The downside of uber is that they can use drivers within Yorkshire so a chesterfield driver that may not have a clue about a single road in Sheffield and wouldn't have done the knowledge test could take you.

My Bold

plenty of Chesterfield city taxis in Sheffield more so at weekends

:hihi::hihi:

Not in the knowledge test but... they also must pass a driving skills test which covers that. Just like when you pass your driving test, drivers ignore the basics :P

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 14:57 ----------

My Bold

plenty of Chesterfield city taxis in Sheffield more so at weekends

Like most legislation, it can be manipulated and loop holes used to allow taxis licensed outside of Yorkshire to be used.