Egypt considers Burqa ban

Forcing women to wear burka is simply oppression.

Banning burkas (face covers in general) is backed up by valid reasons, some of theme already presented here.

You can have your opinion on morality, I'm not taking it from you. But that's just your opinion and I don't see right now why it should be above the practical implications of the ban.

Indeed it would be if it were imposed, but what you aren't considering is that many women choose to wear it - and if you force them not to, then it is you who becomes the oppressor.

I presume Brany was in support of these women in Denmark earlier in the year protesting that women SHOULD be able to wear it if they want, rather than being oppressed and not allowed to

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ywkb3x/women-are-covering-their-faces-in-solidarity-to-protest-denmarks-veil-ban

and in france

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/11/france-bans-burqa-and-niqab

I dont see how it is anyones business, especially men, in telling a woman what she can and can't wear.. That goes for those who make their women wear it and those that don't!

Do something better with your time gentlemen and find a cure for cancer, end poverty, home the homeless or such! Don't worry your lovely heads with womens fashion...

Some people would choose to wear balaclava in the bank, yet we force them not to. Some people would choose to go naked in restaurant, yet we force them not to. See the pattern? :)

Maybe I haven't stressed this enough, but I am not fighting personal clothing choices. I am against masking faces in public - that includes balaclavas, burkas, etc. I don't care about hijabs, nun's veils (whatever that's called) or silly hats.

Now Halibut, why are walk-on models' clothes representing objectification and burkas aren't?

Good old Egypt, that's what I say.

I find the garment offensive. As though its wearers do not want to integrate with mainstream society. Why would you not want to be seen or recognised ? Why is we cant see you, but you can see us ?

How anyone can justify wearing it is beyond me.

We weren’t born wearing clothes either but we still wear them don’t we?

Well, most of the time it's too cold not to wear clothes and also they will arrest you so that's not really a choice.

I find the garment offensive. As though its wearers do not want to integrate with mainstream society. Why would you not want to be seen or recognised ? Why is we cant see you, but you can see us ?

the point is that they themselves should not want to wear it in a country where it is not the custom to wear it, because then it does become offensive which is why it shouldn't be worn in Egypt or here.

It may be the way I was brought up, i'e , to show consideration to other people.When I visit another country I respect thier customs, and even more so if I went to live there, so what I would like is for them to show the same respect to others, or do not move from your own country. As I say it is just about showing respect.

the point is that they themselves should not want to wear it in a country where it is not the custom to wear it, because then it does become offensive which is why it shouldn't be worn in Egypt or here.

It may be the way I was brought up, i'e , to show consideration to other people.When I visit another country I respect thier customs, and even more so if I went to live there, so what I would like is for them to show the same respect to others, or do not move from your own country. As I say it is just about showing respect.

How does a woman wearing a burqa offend you?

You have more chance of Europeans flouting the topless/nudity laws and therefore being offended than you have of seeing a burqa in some parts of Egypt.

Quite correct about not wanting to integrate, but that probably originates from the male extremists from that culture that don't want them to integrate.

It's strange that the same left wing losers who are always having a go at Donald Trump and accusing him of extremism are quite happy to excuse a culture where women are quite often treated as second class citizens, told what to wear, who to mix with and marry and even sometimes mutilated in the name of that culture.

Do you agree that women shouldn't be forced to wear, or not wear, anything they want?

I actually don't care for banning the wearing of a Burqa, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it was.

I actually don't believe the lefts support for women's choice to wear the Burqa is sincere. They support it because it isn't western, it isn't Christian, it isn't British, and that to the left is a good thing, they seek the literally change the face of this country and the west in general, so anything that is alien to the west, whatever it is, is all good, the more the merrier...but as we saw on the news in that most liberal of places California last night it bit them right in the ass!

I actually don't care for banning the wearing of a Burqa, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it was.

I actually don't believe the lefts support for women's choice to wear the Burqa is sincere. They support it because it isn't western, it isn't Christian, it isn't British, and that to the left is a good thing, they seek the literally change the face of this country and the west in general, so anything that is alien to the west, whatever it is, is all good, the more the merrier...but as we saw on the news in that most liberal of places California last night it bit them right in the ass!

Nice bit of look over there while I don't answer the question. :rolleyes: