Tax on bacon and sausage?

Taxing everything to the hilt just makes life even more difficult to live.

Maybe you believe the Government has enough money for things like the NHS, without more taxes?

The point is to tax more things at a standard VAT rate, not to 'the hilt'.

Will 'the poor' be adversely affected, certainly no more than the 50%+ tax on vehicle fuel, cigs and alcohol. These days 'the poor' are more likely to be obese!

i thought that bacon tended towards an un-appealing grey. But that a happy coincidence of the curing process was a lovely pink colour.

carrying on with what i thought i'd read somewhere, this process involves a salt of one kind or another, and it's this salt that leads to the startling health risks...

?

or have i had another knock on the head?

Edited by ads36

Maybe you believe the Government has enough money for things like the NHS, without more taxes?

The point is to tax more things at a standard VAT rate, not to 'the hilt'.

Will 'the poor' be adversely affected, certainly no more than the 50%+ tax on vehicle fuel, cigs and alcohol. These days 'the poor' are more likely to be obese!

The NHS (your example) will never have 'enough' money - there are always more illnesses/conditions they can attempt to resolve and this costs more money, and from examples that have been quoted before (don't ask me to find them, I haven't got the time), the purchasing/accounting techniques of the NHS and other government facilities need to have root and branch reforms -they seem to pay over the odds for basics where their massive purchasing power should mean they pay less.

Adding more taxes to the already high ones you quote will adversely affect the poor - and everyone else - you only have a finite amount of money so adding more tax will reduce the quantity of anything you can buy.

The obesity problem is down to laziness - both in the physical exercise sense, and the 'convenience' foods we buy.

I'm confused :confused: The majority of people on this forum seem to resent paying tax, and yet they also seem to want to tax food?

Perhaps like me they see the bigger picture in the cost of treating obesity and other poor diet ailments on the NHS.

Sometimes hitting people in the pocket is the only way to get them to change - just like booze and fags at budget time. The price of a pack of fags has helped many in my family give up.

As I get older and huff and puff even when I bend over to just tie my shoes I think I must do more exercise and go beyond "meat free Monday" and cut back on the convenience foods and processed meat.

I don't think supermarkets help either with their BOGOF deals always on the unhealthy stuff, not to mention the quality of meat compared to a butcher.

Last week I griped that I only got six rashers of bacon from the butcher compared to 8 in a supermarket packet. But the butcher bacon was much thicker, tastier, with no water flowing from it when cooking.

Edited by alchresearch

shall we start at the beginning with the harmful chemicals pumped into the animals?

shall we start at the beginning with the harmful chemicals pumped into the animals?

Shhhhhh the meat eaters wont want to hear this! It's 'FAKE NEWS'

Adding more taxes to the already high ones you quote will adversely affect the poor - and everyone else - you only have a finite amount of money so adding more tax will reduce the quantity of anything you can buy.

If the poor are eating meat now, are they really poor, or just relatively poor?

Probably eating cheap meat...

shhhhhh the meat eaters wont want to hear this! It's 'fake news'

;)

Like your selective quoting :rolleyes: But to answer that specific point, taken out of context, just relatively poor - I suppose.