No Armistice display in Sheffield again?

i did my bit for respecting the Armistice and again i say they didnt make a reasonable effort to put on a display to remember and respect the fallen, nothing on the town hall , nothing around the city by the council well except for chopping down or trying to chop down memorial trees?? as for the tommy there not there silhouettes i think you will find they are funded by "therebutnotthere.com" a charity not the council!

the only little spark of council respect was majid majid who actually wore the correct outfit apart from the white poppy!

you're wrong the council bought the majority other were paid for by parish councils etc. a simple email/FOI to the council will confirm that fact or speak to a councillor

but yet again what did you do ?

did you organise anything ?

did you volunteer to clean any of the memorials?

did you offer your services in any other way?

you're wrong the council bought the majority other were paid for by parish councils etc. a simple email/FOI to the council will confirm that fact or speak to a councillor

but yet again what did you do ?

did you organise anything ?

did you volunteer to clean any of the memorials?

did you offer your services in any other way?

can you show the link to your evidence please. actually where are these i havent seen any.

i am not a public body i dont need to organise anything, i did what i wanted to do which was show respect at a parade in Manchester.

why did big ben say 11 am on sunday at the 2 min silence when it was 11.07 on sky news and on my I phone

Having recently moved to Chesterfield it makes a refreshing change to see all the displays of remembrance all over the area.

From a beautiful poppy display at the town hall steps to lamposts adorned with red poppies, union jacks and lest we forget flags all over the area including Dronfield and the peak district.

its a pity Sheffield council couldn't for once respect and remember the dead for once.

https://www.chesterfield.co.uk/events/chesterfield-town-hall-poppy-cascade

I attended the gathering in Barkers Pool yesterday.

The Lord Mayor was there.

Representatives of all sections of the armed forces, emergency services and voluntary organisations were there.

There were thousands of people there who voluntarily attended the event just because they wanted to. No one forced them there against their will. It was moving, reverent and respectful.

I feel very proud to be a Sheffielder and very proud of what I witnessed yesterday.

Edited by Daven

I attended the gathering in Barkers Pool yesterday.

The Lord Mayor was there.

Representatives of all sections of the armed forces, emergency services and voluntary organisations were there.

There were thousands of people there who voluntarily attended the event just because they wanted to. No one forced them there against their will. It was moving, reverent and respectful.

I feel very proud to be a Sheffielder and very proud of what I witnessed yesterday.

did you see the mayor of Sheffield refuse a red poppy that a guy tried to give him? he asked him to wear the red and the white?? he refused that is not respectful.

how many of the council leaders were there?

I was there, and go every year. I choose to wear a red poppy. My view is simply that the folks who died in conflict over many years, fought for freedom for people like us all to think/ believe and express what we believe in. Remembrance is deeply personal for me. I don't expect anyone to hold my beliefs nor to have anyone else's imprinted on me. Disappointed maybe , and having seen the mayor parade off with his eyes cast down and not making eye contact with the public - he maybe felt something else. We move on. His views are his alone. He won't be in his position next year.

did you see the mayor of Sheffield refuse a red poppy that a guy tried to give him? he asked him to wear the red and the white?? he refused that is not respectful.

how many of the council leaders were there?

If the mayor chose to wear a white poppy good for him. I did a little research (you should try it one time, it helps you not look like an idiot) and learned that the white poppy is intended to -

- remember all victims of war

- show a commitment to peace

- challenge attempts to glamourise or celebrate war

Perhaps you could explain how any of those aims are disrespectful?

If the mayor chose to wear a white poppy good for him. I did a little research (you should try it one time, it helps you not look like an idiot) and learned that the white poppy is intended to -

- remember all victims of war

- show a commitment to peace

- challenge attempts to glamourise or celebrate war

Perhaps you could explain how any of those aims are disrespectful?

why could he not wear both?? that seems like a good compromise, but no he wanted to make a statement because he doesnt like the politics of red poppy wearers. the red poppy does exactly the same for the points you mention.:roll:

the red poppy does exactly the same for the points you mention.

no it doesn't.

from the RBL : "to care for those who have suffered as a result of service in the Armed Forces "

no it doesn't.

i think you will find any right minded person would consider the aims the same:roll:

they're compatible, but they're not the same.

why could he not wear both??

Why the hell should he?

the red poppy does exactly the same for the points you mention.:roll:

Either you can't read, or you're being deliberately obtuse.