No Armistice display in Sheffield again?

No, just to come dressed appropriately for the solemnity of the occasion.

" When you go home tell them of us and say: for your tomorrow we gave our today. "

or,

"Went the day well?

We died and never knew.

But, well or ill,

Freedom, we died for you."

Only the dead have seen the end of wars.

Angel1.

didnt they die so he...and the rest of us could have the freedom to wear whatever we like?

didnt they die so he...and the rest of us could have the freedom to wear whatever we like?

In the round, yes they did. But out of respect of the day, maybe appropriate garb should be worn.

I can only imagine the furore if the Mayor turned out in his usual laid back attire.

Angel1.

It’s a few years since I’ve been to the Remembrance Day Service at the Cenotaph at Barkers Pool. The last one I went to there was a very good turn out and it was well organised by the council, but at the time bodies of our brave soldiers were being returned home from Afghanistan and conveyed through the town of Wootton Bassett on a regular basis. So I suspect that was why the service and military presence was bigger than I remembered when I use to go occasionally with my late father.

Sheffield Council will do a good job with the service on Remembrance Sunday. I will be going to the one in Newcastle were I live. The Cenotaph in Sheffield is better than the one in Newcastle

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.”

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 20:11 ----------

Stannington Village has beautiful giant poppies on its lamp posts.

They have got giant poppies in most of the small villages In Northumberland they do look nice.

Edited by hauxwell

A show of respect should suffice, I hope the Mayor does come dressed appropriately, and not in his back to front hat.

Angel1.

well he refused to buy the first poppy that was done by the deputy lord mayor this year as Majid doesnt approve/agree of wearing of the poppy we shalll see if he attends on sunday my guess is he wont attend.

well he refused to buy the first poppy that was done by the deputy lord mayor this year as Majid doesnt approve/agree of wearing of the poppy we shalll see if he attends on sunday my guess is he wont attend.

Shall we have a small wager on that? Tenner says he does attend.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/armistice-100-these-are-the-remembrance-day-services-taking-place-in-sheffield-1-9432131

Having recently moved to Chesterfield it makes a refreshing change to see all the displays of remembrance all over the area.

From a beautiful poppy display at the town hall steps to lamposts adorned with red poppies, union jacks and lest we forget flags all over the area including Dronfield and the peak district.

its a pity Sheffield council couldn't for once respect and remember the dead for once.

https://www.chesterfield.co.uk/events/chesterfield-town-hall-poppy-cascade

Why don't you offer up your services on a voluntary basis to arrange and coordinate next years display in Sheffield?

Why don't you offer up your services on a voluntary basis to arrange and coordinate next years display in Sheffield?

Splendid idea !

I hazard a guess that this will not happen !

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 21:58 ----------

inside? is there? not outside then to show respect??[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 16:37 ----------

[/color]

ha ha Hardly nails to hang them on, a well thought out display and well worth a visit if you could be bothered.

Why does a display have to be outside ?

It's just as respectful indie as outside :confused:

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 22:01 ----------

He shows respect by campaigning for state support for veterans rather than allowing them to have to rely on charity.

That's a damn sight more useful than wearing a suit and tie.

Yes - a lot more than previous Lord Mayors have done.

He will be there - and suitably dressed too.

Edited by Daven

You posted that before and didn't provide any evidence for it then either. Are you going to provide some this time or shall we just assume it's something someone who doesn't like him made up?

Alas Im working on the 11th so cant get to barkers pool but will make time during my worktime to celebrate the heros who gave their lives so we could live free lives,or as free as it can be under the current regime

You posted that before and didn't provide any evidence for it then either. Are you going to provide some this time or shall we just assume it's something someone who doesn't like him made up?

I don't have to post evidence you can put a FOI in to the council or read his twitter feed where he is pictured wearing a white poppy, that would mean he doesn't agree with the red poppy.

I don't have to post evidence you can put a FOI in to the council or read his twitter feed where he is pictured wearing a white poppy, that would mean he doesn't agree with the red poppy.

not 100% true

https://ppu.org.uk/remembrance-white-poppies

White poppies recall all victims of all wars, including victims of wars that are still being fought. This includes people of all nationalities. It includes both civilians and members of armed forces. Today, over 90% of people killed in warfare are civilians.

In wearing white poppies, we remember all those killed in war, all those wounded in body or mind, the millions who have been made sick or homeless by war and the families and communities torn apart. We also remember those killed or imprisoned for refusing to fight and for resisting war.

We differ from the Royal British Legion, who produce red poppies. The Legion says that red poppies are to remember only British armed forces and those who fought alongside them.

We want to remember British military dead, but they are not the only victims of war. We also remember the many civilians who have died or suffered in war, both those from the past and those in the midst of war today, in Syria and Yemen and many other violent conflicts around the world. Suffering does not stop at national borders, and nor should remembrance.

They have got giant poppies in most of the small villages In Northumberland they do look nice.

I noticed today in Staveley they have large poppies on the streetlamps.