What is the solution for fuel drive offs from garages?

How does it work if you don't have £100 in your account, and you wanted to put say £30 petrol in your car? Are you not allowed to fill up?

No, it blocks your entire balance, and the pump cuts off at that point if you haven't stopped before. If you stop at £30 then it charges you £30.

I had a memory that this station

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4232443,-1.2481951,3a,75y,158.72h,85.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk6_SarN4ec3Bcutbmv6-mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

At Hellaby had some anti theft spikes or something, but if it did they're gone now.

Yea probably not great in practise, get it wrong and you've stung all four tyres on an innocent car.

Liable for damages, courtesy car while it's fixed and an uncomfortable chat with the police.

During manned hours I am guessing that the profit from customers spending in the kiosk is considerable. I say that because there are usually 2 members of staff to pay. There are the drive-offs to factor in. Electricity & heating. The proprietors still feel it is more viable to not have a “pay at pump only system” on every pump. I don`t actually think they make a great deal of profit on fuel sales. I would wager there is more profit to be made from spending in the kiosk.

Side note, the prepay method (pay at pump) works fine after the garage has technically closed, in that it is unattended by staff after midnight. Reduced overheads too.

The solution already is in effect, fuel is a p a litre more expensive than it has to be to cover theft. Not a topic to worry about I reckon until petrol stations start closing en masse.

Do what Costco do. Force all members to pre-authorise by card payment, otherwise the pump doesn't work. Problem solved.

That's how ALL pay at pumps work, not normally restricted to members of course.

Prepay at the counter in the shop - pump stops working when you get to the amount you have prepaid for?

Wasn't even sure it was that big an issue?

This ^^^^

The first and most logical solution.

Just sell fuel in the shop in 20 gallon drums. Buy it with your Mars bar etc , take it outside and simply funnel it into the tank. Simple.

The solution already is in effect, fuel is a p a litre more expensive than it has to be to cover theft. Not a topic to worry about I reckon until petrol stations start closing en masse.

I think Simon Cole is the only one worrying. It`s just a conversation piece for me.

This ^^^^

The first and most logical solution.

And if I need more than I've bought to fill the tank...?

If I overpay I've got the aggravation of a refund to go fetch...

Do what Costco do. Force all members to pre-authorise by card payment, otherwise the pump doesn't work. Problem solved.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for the people who are standing in the petrol station with the cash in their hand but no spare money in their bank account. You can attempt to force me all you like, but if the money is not in my bank account, I simply cannot comply and will drive off to buy my diesel elsewhere. Do you (as the hypothetical petrol station operator) plan on losing all of those who buy with cash?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for the people who are standing in the petrol station with the cash in their hand but no spare money in their bank account. You can attempt to force me all you like, but if the money is not in my bank account, I simply cannot comply and will drive off to buy my diesel elsewhere. Do you (as the hypothetical petrol station operator) plan on losing all of those who buy with cash?

It could work, you walk into the shop and "pre authorise" by handing over cash. If you then put in less than that, you go back and get your change.

---------- Post added 15-11-2018 at 22:01 ----------

And if I need more than I've bought to fill the tank...?

If I overpay I've got the aggravation of a refund to go fetch...

Your disadvantage for paying cash.