Brother is a drug addict

It's very unlikely the brother has just developed this habit after receiving his inheritance. Most people don't get £50,000 and think . . "you know what? I'll become a crack addict! Great idea."

Can the OP shed any light on what he was doing before this cash came in? Bequething £50k to a drug addict seems pretty daft to me.

It's very unlikely the brother has just developed this habit after receiving his inheritance. Most people don't get £50,000 and think . . "you know what? I'll become a crack addict! Great idea."

Can the OP shed any light on what he was doing before this cash came in? Bequething £50k to a drug addict seems pretty daft to me.

Exactly.

My first thoughts were what was this guy doing before the inheritance.

the op says his brother is a drug addict and recently got 50k, not just become an addict overnight since getting the 50k, we all no his brother has probably been an addict for a long time and so does the op, but hes asking for help and nothing else, he just wants to cure his brother of his disease

and that's what drugs are, a disease on our society

and that's what drugs are, a disease on our society

Drugs aren't, but drug addiction is.

My sister was a heroin addict for many years and funded her habit with criminality. She got clean with Narcotics Anonymous: http://ukna.org/

She is now a respectable member of society.

My sister was a heroin addict for many years and funded her habit with criminality. She got clean with Narcotics Anonymous: http://ukna.org/

She is now a respectable member of society.

A dear friend of mine had some very major issues with cocaine; NA really wasn't for him, but he's now doing really well having chosen to cut it out of his life and focus on rebuilding relationships and finding joy in cleaner ways.

He's started taking crack at 20 and various other drugs but used to only go binges. Last year he started taking it again stop for a couple months and start again but since he got the inheritance, he just went out of control.

He has Bipolar Disorder and one of the symptoms is reckless spending when manic. He has ordered loads of ebay, clothes, electronics but when it comes to drugs such as crack it's a whole new ball game.

I hope he gets better with meds, I've spoken to him about rehab and he says he's not spending all that money. It cost 10k for 3 month privately.

He's started taking crack at 20 and various other drugs but used to only go binges. Last year he started taking it again stop for a couple months and start again but since he got the inheritance, he just went out of control.

He has Bipolar Disorder and one of the symptoms is reckless spending when manic. He has ordered loads of ebay, clothes, electronics but when it comes to drugs such as crack it's a whole new ball game.

I hope he gets better with meds, I've spoken to him about rehab and he says he's not spending all that money. It cost 10k for 3 month privately.

you cant put a price on health

suddenly hes an addict with a 4.5k a month habit?? really he must have been a druggie beforehand? sorry no sympathy here except whoever gave him the inheritance must be turning over in the grave:roll:

No one is asking for your sympathy!

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 10:41 ----------

Hi Dinofan,

Sorry to hear this about your brother, addiction is an awful disease. I hope you find the strength to support him and i hope he finds the strength to fight his addictions. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do, it is entirely up to him to fight his demons and seek help IF/WHEN he wants to x

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 10:42 ----------

speaking on personal experience, he needs to see whats happening around him, with his lifestyle having a big effect on his family and friends, while hes got easy money that wont happen, I would suggest get the 40k away from him somehow, the remove any thing of value from your house and his, as he WILL pinch it and WILL sell it, when theres no cash left and nothing to pinch no bank cards to get money from [your bank card not his] then he might start looking at his life,

tough love is the quickest answer I can give, we had the problem for ten years with weed [that people say isn't a problem] my friends son was a drug addict for twenty years before he got straight , and I no more, and there familys all say the same about tough love, you have to do it, its hard but do it and stick to it, basically get him to rock bottom as quick as you can and remember its the drugs you are fighting and not him, the scumbag dealers should live with an addict then theyed probably stop dealing

Rubbish!!!! absolute rubbish....

I have had very close members of my family go through drug abuse and they havent once stolen anything from anyone to feed their habit.

I have had very close members of my family go through drug abuse and they havent once stolen anything from anyone to feed their habit.

I’ve had dealings with heroin users over the last 30 years.

I assure anybody that when a heroin user is withdrawing (rattling) he/she will do most things to get a further toot/dig (depending how heavy their addiction is).

I’ve not yet met a regular heroin user who hasn’t stolen/burgled/ robbed to feed his/her habit, unfortunately.

I agree they need help, but getting them to attend the drug agencies isn’t easy, and I don’t know the answer. Many on a meth scrip still have to top up.

?? What do you know? what personal experience have you had?

Those who i know had full time jobs as construction workers!! they paid for their own drugs!

People are blinkered to think that only those who dont have an income can become addicted to drugs and can't possibly work!!