What to feed a sick dog

Please be really careful when giving potato to dogs.....

One of our standard poodles ate some leftover boiled potatoes once, and it killed him. They gave him bloat: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/bloat.html

This was the dog that happily digested apple scented soap-on-a-rope, and numerous plastic dog bowls.... yet something as simple as potato was his undoing.

Still makes me cry to think of it :sad:

Brude is unwell.

I shan't give you the gory details, but the vet said he is to have 'bland food', so he isn't getting Bakers complete for dinner, but he is now turning his nose up at the bland dog biscuits I've given him.

Any ideas what to feed him?

I have debated about Jacobs crackers, rice, pasta (though he doesn't like that unless it has tuna in), scrambled egg....

:help:

when my aunts dog was ill she gave him fresh cod, just done in the microwave, and she also tried porriage oats made with water, its suposed to be good for the stomache

One of our standard poodles ate some leftover boiled potatoes once, and it killed him. They gave him bloat: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/bloat.html

This was the dog that happily digested apple scented soap-on-a-rope, and numerous plastic dog bowls.... yet something as simple as potato was his undoing.

So sorry to hear about your poodle :sad: but i had heard that you should not feed potatoes to dogs before though it does not seem to be general knowledge .

wow! sorry to hear about your dog, thats absolutely awful my heart goes out to you.

I had no idea about the potatoes at all but really she seems fine with them, she has one meal a day and they`re mashed with chicken and it`s her fav meal she has the porridge and dried food too.

She`s eaten the spuds for months and never had a problem, perhaps she`s just not prone to bloat or as it`s not a large meal it dosen`t bother her as she`s not an overeater she eats small meals and is very picky.

Originally i fed her rice or pasta with it but no matter how i mixed it up and shredded it she would not eat the rice/pasta and if she couldn`t pick the chicken out she wouldn`t eat at all.

She`s a very picky dog and with her medical condition she`s under a very close eye all the time.

when our dog was dying of cancer, we tried to feed him all sorts of things, he really enjoyed cream crackers for a while, and bread with meat in it. as we were trying to keep him alive and food in his belly so anything he sniffed, he was given. He was only given two weeks to live but he carried on for 8 more weeks, bless him.

He really enjoyed rice, chicken and scrambled eggs.

Keep trying with things!

awwww im so glad to hear Brude is well again, i saw the thread and couldnt beleive it. when our Murphy got that really bad gastroenteritus ( sp?? ) and lost so much weight in juts a few days we thought we was gunna lose him, the vets even let us take our own bits of food in for him they told us only chicken, rice, eggs, cereal, etc.. he was so weak even chewing the chicken was to much trouble but we managed to get some bread soaked in tuna juice down him. all irelivent now though thankfully seen as Brudes better. big me hugs to him xxxxxxxxxxxxx ( really should make effort to come give real life hugs shunt i :| )

Aww bless, i am so sorry to hear that happened to your dog. Never heard of that happening before. It was something that i checked over and over again, and even spoke to a vet about it (the boiled potatoes and cottage cheese). When our 2 bitches had all the pups.........around 3 weeks after the bitches developed severe diarrohea. So after checking on the internet and phoning the vets, we tried the potatoes and cottage cheese. It worked wonders. Now, if any of the dogs get poorly tums again, thats what we give them, but they don't have a massive bowl full, just in moderation, and it really does work for ours.

Destiny x