200 UK shopping centres 'in crisis'

It said a few had been bought out by councils, which is fair enough.

What would be worrying is if councils started giving rate relief or other discounts to struggling centres but the owners didn't reciprocate with discounts on shop rental costs.

Then it really would be the tax payer bailing out greedy private equity firms.

Councils dont set rates. Central govt set rates. The council just collect it.

Owners certainly wont reciprocate voluntarily and it would be impossible to force them to and after all why should a landlord of an Apple shop (tenant rolling in it) subsidise Apple, just because the landlord of the shop next door is subsidising a struggling retailer? Would it be means tested? HOw would that work? Can of worms.

So yes, the rates cut is tax payers money (or what would have been) eventually parking itself in multinational real estate companies bank accounts, because the retailer can afford the high rents because they dont have to pay their rates.

What would be worrying is if councils started giving rate relief or other discounts to struggling centres but the owners didn't reciprocate with discounts on shop rental costs.

Then it really would be the tax payer bailing out greedy private equity firms.

I agree, Government and councils should treat all shopping venues the same, although they rarely do.

Would council-owned premises be classed as a charity and pay less tax?

I agree, Government and councils should treat all shopping venues the same, although they rarely do.

why would they be classed as a charity?

why would they be classed as a charity?

Because the council is not doing it to make a profit. I have no expertise in this, but councils run school buses and they don't make a profit, so they don't pay road tax, whereas private buses and taxis do.

Hardly any shopping centres are council owned, and like previous post says the council is generally liable for business rates on property they occupy or own (unless tenanted- in which case tenant is liable)

Multitudes of stores closing, 1000s of job losses, and various reasons why. and like i said the governments help package announced last week does nothing to address that.

You could have said the same when the tractor was invented, or the combined harvester or something.

It's change, it happens. We don't necessarily need dozens of high street shops selling the same stuff when we can buy it easily online.

So the job market for retail will get smaller, but people will find other work.

If city centres become places to live instead of places to shop then perhaps businesses will move out of them as well, and we won't have big pollution hotspots and massive congestion as everyone tries to crowd into one small geographical area.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 10:36 ----------

The rates are paid by the occupant of a property aren't they, not the owner?

You could have said the same when the tractor was invented, or the combined harvester or something.

It's change, it happens. We don't necessarily need dozens of high street shops selling the same stuff when we can buy it easily online.

So the job market for retail will get smaller, but people will find other work.

If city centres become places to live instead of places to shop then perhaps businesses will move out of them as well, and we won't have big pollution hotspots and massive congestion as everyone tries to crowd into one small geographical area.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 10:36 ----------

The rates are paid by the occupant of a property aren't they, not the owner?

If there is an occupant. Otherwise the owner pays the rates on an empty property.

Until they scrap car parking charges and put bobbies on the beat, I've no intention of ever setting foot in the town centre ever again.

Nothing else to add, took another delivery today off amazon, which I ordered yesterday, the item in question was 25% cheaper than local shops.

Car parking charges are a bit of a red herring. I've no objection to paying a few quid but it's the faff of getting into town, then parking (cue the "I can always park easily when I go into town" crowd) or I can order it from the comfort of my settee. Shopping in centres is a pain and I don't like doing it.

Because the council is not doing it to make a profit. I have no expertise in this, but councils run school buses and they don't make a profit, so they don't pay road tax, whereas private buses and taxis do.

what makes you think they don't pay road tax?

and not making a profit doesn't make you a charity

as far as i'm aware most school bus contracts are with private firms and they will be free to use the buses for other things outside of school hours

Hardly any shopping centres are council owned, and like previous post says the council is generally liable for business rates on property they occupy or own (unless tenanted- in which case tenant is liable)

Barnsley Council are currently building a £180m shopping/leisure centre in the town centre so if the will is there it can be done. But with so many cuts and other priorities it must be a difficult choice.

The first phase opened yesterday (market hall) and it looks terrific. Definitely the best market hall I’ve seen for a while. Hope the rest turns out as well.