Can Council Tax be refunded to Tenants if bill in Agents name?

In 2004 my CT band changed. The CT was collected through an inclusive rent from the tenants, ie. each year the council would send the CT bill to the agents and the agents would add the increase to the tenants inclusive rent.

I have now discovered the banding was wrong. But the CT bill was in the old agents name, and they no longer exist, as I now have a new landlord and new agents. Can the tenants still get their old council tax refunded from the council?

Due Limitations Act, if the CT bill is in your name, you can claim back for any mistakes going over the last 6 years direct from Council.

But if the old agent has gone, then you have nobody to claim against.

Oh, Martin Lewis, money saving expert never mentioned a limitation act, he says you can go back as far as they've made the mistake. So even though I actually paid the agents the council tax, I have no right to claim as its not in my name?

In 2004 my CT band changed. The CT was collected through an inclusive rent from the tenants [1], ie. each year the council would send the CT bill to the agents and the agents would add the increase to the tenants inclusive rent.

I have now discovered the banding was wrong. But the CT bill was in the old agents name, and they no longer exist, as I now have a new landlord [2] and new agents. Can the tenants still get their old council tax refunded from the council?

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

[1] suggests L.

[2] suggests T.

Did you pay by direct debit? If so you can claim through your bank

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

[1] suggests L.

[2] suggests T.

The tenant.

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 16:01 ----------

Did you pay by direct debit? If so you can claim through your bank

No I didn't.

If the CT bills were addressed to the Landlord's Agent, the council must have been treating L or A as the billable party.

So you as T were not billed. Logically, you yourself cannot then claim a refund from the Council.