Crawshaws Butcher perhaps closing?

The company started a rapid expansion project early this year and clearly it's not worked.

Most likely expanded too quickly and over extended.

Poor location choice probably didn't help.

In Barnsley they were bang in the town centre and their main customer base was the older generation. They (crawshaws) decided not to be part of the new renovation project to remain in the centre, opting to relocate just outside the town centre to a location at the top of a hill which has little to no footfall.

Their customers simply struggled to get up to the new store so stopped and used alternative butchers.

Personally I've bought from them on a few occasions and found the produce to be hit and miss. The last time I visited I did not purchase because I found out of date and/or spoiled produce still on the shelves. The manager when I spoke to them didn't seem to care.

I bought a large vacuum packed joint of 'fresh' beef from the Barnsley factory outlet. Under the Crawshaws sticker was another showing the country of origin was Botswana. The meat was halal (the label didnt state this but I did some research) and had a six month shelf life in the defrosted state!:suspect: It wasnt that good IMO

Sam Smiths. John Smiths. After 8 pints I always get them confused.

Thats easy to do given they are brothers.

Perhaps they were family and split the business. In Germany there are 2 Aldis ??

In the 20th century Sheffield had two CO-OPs because they couldn't agree to merge for everyone's benefit.

And we finished up with B&C and S&E. Talk about a family feud !

that’s Ze Germanese for you. Did you know the founders of Adidas and Puma were brothers ?

Yes, Adi Dassler the Adidas one and the brother (first name I forget) Puma. Both probably long gone now and never spoke to each again after splitting up in the 1940's. (I know, nowt to do with butcher's shops).

If we have established that it IS NOT John Crawshaws who have a branch at the Barracks, Hillsborough, well thank goodness. John Crawshaws has great quality meat, locally sourced, and good staff. Off to order the turkey!!

If we have established that it IS NOT John Crawshaws who have a branch at the Barracks, Hillsborough, well thank goodness. John Crawshaws has great quality meat, locally sourced, and good staff. Off to order the turkey!!

It definitely is not that one. They have put a post up on their Facebook page.

So glad its not my butchers in the Barracks, been going there for about 20 yrs, they are friends as well as the people who feed my family xxx

Can see why, the food is cheap crap in my opinion.

Worksop, Retford and Gainsborough already closed

Worksop, Retford and Gainsborough already closed

and the one on the Moor, Sheffield

Shame the one on the Moor had the best cheesecakes in,town

Shame the one on the Moor had the best cheesecakes in,town

Now you tell us!