Commuting to Leeds from Sheffield everyday by train

Thats less than £6 a journey each way. I would suspect that the fuel and running costs of a car doing Sheffield to Leeds is going to be way more than that but there you go...

I bet the car parking would be more than that by itself...

I did this commute for quite a few years. Driving can be a hassle but was overall quicker door to door for me. Also parking as i remember was a bit on the expensive side in Leeds.

Depends where you are in Sheffield but tram to train station and then train to Leeds did take longer than driving but with the saver tickets was cheaper than driving (petrol and parking costs) and with the added benefit of being able to chill out a bit. The trains and trams were fairly regular and I usually got a seat on the train as well. This was about 12-13 years ago though.

Commuting over 10 years took it's toll though and i moved house to make a shorter trip.

I am working opposite Leeds Trinity and next to Leeds Train Station.

Where do you live (or plan to live) ?

You don't want to even consider driving if you live anywhere near Sheffield city centre, it'll be a daily nightmare.

Guest busdriver1
Where do you live (or plan to live) ?

You don't want to even consider driving if you live anywhere near Sheffield city centre, it'll be a daily nightmare.

Agree with that, I recently went from Hull to the centre of Sheffield, 50% of my time was taken up in Sheffield.

Working next to Leeds Train Station? Guess what it the best way to travel is (hint not by car).

Edited by Zaphod

Hi Everyone,

Started new job in Leeds - what are my travel options.

I am currently paying the monthly saver at £230.00 every month by train.

Anything cheaper out there such as coach or bus travel and costs.

Also is there free parking around Sheffield railway station or nearby as I am willing to walk.

Thanks in advance.

You could park for free at Meadowhall and get the train from there.

Or at Dore and get a train to town and a train to Leeds. Your journey into town will be covered by your existing ticket.

There is a car park next to the station at Meadowhall, it’s free if you are using the trains. The odd time when it was full I used the Meadowhall car park, don’t think you are suppose to do that if you are not shopping there, but I never had any problems.

There's plenty of trains too, just try not to get the stopping ones. Season tickets are usually cheaper plus you have the benefit you can use the train at other times on that route, not just going to/from work.

Go by car, there's the stress of the daily commute, roadworks, traffic jams etc. Yes, sometimes trains are delayed. Depends on your employer as to whether that's stressful or not.

As others said, depends where you live this end. National express/any buses are pointless because you're just stuck in the same traffic as driving.

Personally I'd stick to the train.

Or at Dore and get a train to town and a train to Leeds. Your journey into town will be covered by your existing ticket.

SYPTE provide free park and ride at both BUT you may find they are full unless you get there very early; https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/parkandridesheffield/

If I were returning to Sheffield from Leeds I'd use Meadowhall - the service out to Dore is poor in the evenings.

You've gotta be there early doors to get a parking space though, fills up quick!

---------- Post added 01-11-2018 at 10:36 ----------

There is a car park next to the station at Meadowhall, it’s free if you are using the trains. The odd time when it was full I used the Meadowhall car park, don’t think you are suppose to do that if you are not shopping there, but I never had any problems.

They (Meadowhall) were on the news yesterday about the recent extension work and how it's transforming into a full leisure day out experience complex.

They can't then have parking time restrictions if they are wanting people to spend the entire day in the place.

Edited by geared

They can't then have parking time restrictions if they are wanting people to spend the entire day in the place.

Using modern technology it be easy to identify those who use it as park and ride by looking what times and how often they park there.