Help with my DVD writer, please..

Toshiba laptop, W10 Home.

Internal TsstCorp CDDVDW SU-208FB drive.

Reads CDs, reads DVDs OK.

Tried writing a single Mp4 file using various software, including ImgBurn.

All go through the motions, and state success.....but when the disc is run in VLC or similar, the file has not been recorded.

Inspecting the disc with File Explorer, it shows only one file - desktop.ini, as follows :

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

Checking Device Manager - which claims the drive is fine - I was surprised to see the only driver listed is cdrom.sys, dating from June 2006.

Suspecting this to be well out-of-date and/or wrong, I uninstalled only for W10 to find it again. Also tried updating, but "no better found".

Any ideas as to the problem/solution, please?

Ta in advance.

From past experience, the inbuilt windows burning tools is the one which writes desktop.ini to the disc.

Go into DOS, select the CD drive then try "dir /ah"

And have you tried CDburnerXP?

From past experience, the inbuilt windows burning tools is the one which writes desktop.ini to the disc.

Go into DOS, select the CD drive then try "dir /ah"

And have you tried CDburnerXP?

Morning...thanks for responding.

Of course, on closer inspection the ini file hasn't actually been written to the disc...it's just a 'warning' that it's queued to do so.

Why? Lord knows.

Haven't tried CDburnerXP...yet!

I'll try your suggestion shortly and let you know.

Again, ta for insight and help

Certainly is. Thanks.

Have just downed and tried CDburnerXP.

Yet again, it went through the motions, claimed success, but ejected a blank disc.

Now thinking hardware issue.

It could be a combination of DRM enabled and ownership rights?

They're not using WMP.

I'm assuming they're burning a data CD, although who knows.

Nothing I've ever used has ever stopped me burning an audio CD.

They're not using WMP.

I'm assuming they're burning a data CD, although who knows.

Nothing I've ever used has ever stopped me burning an audio CD.

Correct - just a collection of home video snippets, edited to a single mp4 file.

I'm sure it's a hardware issue now - I tried burning a audio track to a blank CD last night, and had similar problems.

The drive will read anything I throw at it, but the burning side of things seems kaput.

Googling has revealed that these drives are common in both Toshiba and Samsung machines, but that there are various permutations regarding shape of bezels, anchor points, etc.

Cdburner XP can create a log file for support. That should help us figure out where the issue is.

https://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18

Have you tried some different discs, both re writable and write once?

And is the laptop plugged in when burning a disc?

Can you outline the full process you are taking?

if you are just dropping files on the drive in windows explorer, once its 'full' you have to go to the bottom right to the waiting CD/DvD icon, and tell it to write... This will only write as data tho, and wont be playable in a dvd player if thats your end goal...

Cdburner XP can create a log file for support. That should help us figure out where the issue is.

https://cdburnerxp.se/help/kb/18

Have you tried some different discs, both re writable and write once?

And is the laptop plugged in when burning a disc?

Can you outline the full process you are taking?

if you are just dropping files on the drive in windows explorer, once its 'full' you have to go to the bottom right to the waiting CD/DvD icon, and tell it to write... This will only write as data tho, and wont be playable in a dvd player if thats your end goal...

Yes is the answer to the different discs question : types and brands. Yes, it's on mains power.

Even worse today - tried to generate log file, but CDBXP refusing to accept that a disc is inserted!

Resorting to DOS and D: drive, dir /ah gives "The drive is not ready".

Hadn't tried the explorer "send to D:" - I tend to forget the option's there! - but had already tried ImgBurn and Ashampoo Burning Studio.

Might drag the drive out and have a meddle....after all, if it's heading for the bin anyway, there's not much damage I can do!

Thanks for all the suggestions - very grateful.

Yes is the answer to the different discs question : types and brands. Yes, it's on mains power.

Even worse today - tried to generate log file, but CDBXP refusing to accept that a disc is inserted!

Resorting to DOS and D: drive, dir /ah gives "The drive is not ready".

Hadn't tried the explorer "send to D:" - I tend to forget the option's there! - but had already tried ImgBurn and Ashampoo Burning Studio.

Might drag the drive out and have a meddle....after all, if it's heading for the bin anyway, there's not much damage I can do!

Thanks for all the suggestions - very grateful.

It could be a software issue.... there was an issue with windows 7, writing on some drives.... maybe still the same thing...

Have you tried the upper/lower filters 'fix'?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-delete-the-upperfilters-and-lowerfilters-registry-values-2619222

I'll take a look if you want, sure i'll figure it out xD