Quince Harmon versus Beach Boys

The past 2 Fridays on BBC4 came up with programs both of which lorded the praises of the Good Vibrations by Brian Wilson in making this epic for the Beach Boys--this was crafted by splicing and over laying multi tracks---a feat we were told took some 92 hours

This got to reminding me of one of Sheffield's top groups from the 60s/70s Quince Harmon who did this song live to perfection an -absolutely brilliant version also I seem to recall them being regulars on radio 2 with Dave Lee Travis featuring groups daily

Final thought when the group finished their first set with A touch of velvet and a sting of brass ------ great times in the clubs----

Remember they did a brilliant version

The past 2 Fridays on BBC4 came up with programs both of which lorded the praises of the Good Vibrations by Brian Wilson in making this epic for the Beach Boys--this was crafted by splicing and over laying multi tracks---a feat we were told took some 92 hours

This got to reminding me of one of Sheffield's top groups from the 60s/70s Quince Harmon who did this song live to perfection an -absolutely brilliant version also I seem to recall them being regulars on radio 2 with Dave Lee Travis featuring groups daily

Final thought when the group finished their first set with A touch of velvet and a sting of brass ------ great times in the clubs----

Never saw Quince Harmon, but knew of a few bands who used backing tracks on stage, even in those grand old days. Have you ever seen the movie the Wrecking Crew, that gives great insight into the making of Good Vibrations among other great songs? It is on Netflix if you have it. I hope the BBC4 show you saw comes to Canada via You Tube like the one about Paul Carrack did.

Edited by Ontarian1981

I read where Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys purposely replicated the 'Four Freshman' voice Jazz sound and I would say it worked pretty damned good for them and their songs. fleetwood

I read where Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys purposely replicated the 'Four Freshman' voice Jazz sound and I would say it worked pretty damned good for them and their songs. fleetwood

Brian Wison was/is a genius, once he changed over from the surfing stuff the Beach Boys became pioneers and innovators of rock/pop music. Lore has it that their album Pet Sounds affected Lennon and McCartney so much that they buckled down and came up with Sgt Pepper in response.

Saw Pete after he left Wolves/Quinceharmon/New Jersey Turnpike. Followed them all over Sheffield WMC. Deeply saddened that they did not make it bigger because they were good.

Saw Pete after he left Wolves/Quinceharmon/New Jersey Turnpike. Followed them all over Sheffield WMC. Deeply saddened that they did not make it bigger because they were good.
........they did not make it any bigger than lots of proficient cover bands,because they did not write their own material..........all the top bands were innovators of one sort or another writing their own material.

But like Sheffield group the Vantennas who also did a great cover of Good Vibrations in those days........... just another covers band!

Ive got a box set of the previously aborted " Smile " album by the Beach Boys

and 1 cd , about 70 mins, is totally dedicated to Good Vibrations . they are not all out-takes, most selections were just too long for the final version so never came to light other than on bootlegs or now on the boxed set. Its a real insight to the complex layered build up to the song.

Got a pirate tape of Quinceharmon at Smithywood WMC

Never saw Quince Harmon, but knew of a few bands who used backing tracks on stage, even in those grand old days. Have you ever seen the movie the Wrecking Crew, that gives great insight into the making of Good Vibrations among other great songs? It is on Netflix if you have it. I hope the BBC4 show you saw comes to Canada via You Tube like the one about Paul Carrack did.

Its not on UK Netflix, sadly.

Its not on UK Netflix, sadly.

That is such a shame, that documentary tells all about the gang of studio musicians who made possible almost every US pop hit of the 60s. The late, great Glen Campbell was one of them before he became a star.

That is such a shame, that documentary tells all about the gang of studio musicians who made possible almost every US pop hit of the 60s. The late, great Glen Campbell was one of them before he became a star.

There are some short videos of the Wrecking Crew on YouTube.