Camp Sites Near and Around Sheffield?

A French friend is visiting this summer with his daughter, with the aim of her spending as much time with English-speaking children as possible (she speaks French, English and Serbian).

Despite having invited them to stay at the house with us, he insists that this is what he wants to do, so I look to you, Sheffielders, to assist in my search for a decent campsite in the local environs. Amenities are a necesity, the child is around 11-12 yrs old.

Evidently, if there is anyone who knows of anything closer to Baaaarnsley then that would be great too, but Sheffield is the city he mentioned.

I have heard of one in Edale, but that is quite a trek.

His requirement would be for the first two weeks of July 2006.

With many thanks in advance to you all for your assistance,

Lizzmobile

lizz, there's a lovely campsite a friend of mine stayed at, near ladybower reservoirwhich she was well impressed with... I'll see if I can find the name of it, if you like. would this be convenient? (the right side of sheffield I mean)

PT

There's a few in Edale and Hope, and they're really close to the train station. There are frequent trains running from Sheffield (takes about 20 mins).

Search for places here:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

This is a bit left field, but there are scout campsites near to the city inclusing one at Chapeltown which has all kinds of facilities. Whether they will be allowed to stay there, I have no idea.

http://www.syscouts.org.uk/hesley/index.php

Other than that, you probably have to look to the Peak District. I have a feeling there is something out towards Hathersage?

AHA! Thanks everyone!

PT: that would be great, thank you.

Andy: thanks for that site: perfect

KenH: we are right up the hill from Chapeltown - I'll check it out.

Camped at the Grouse & Claret in Rowsley Derbyshire and can recommend it

Lizzmobile,

There is a (very basic) campsite at Hoylandswaine, and the Greensprings Touring Caravan Park at Rockley Abbey Farm, Worsborough. Depends what facilities they will need.

You can always try Fuel or Climax :thumbsup:

Lizz the one Ken mentioned is probably Hesley woodhttp://www.syscouts.org.uk/hesley/, its the scout camp site @ chapel town up the hill past the station. Its basic, but pleasant, My eldest is going there this weekend.

Vanessa

this is the best local campsite

clicky :thumbsup:

You can always try Fuel or Climax :thumbsup:

:rolleyes::D:P

Edale's meant to be good...