Young musician wanting adivce

Hi, I just joined this forum is search of someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I am a 15, nearly 16, year old singer songwriter who plays guitar and piano. I have a YouTube channel in an attempt to get my music heard but its not really working out. I just want to know how to begin getting myself out there. I am happy to join a band or have another person and become a duo or ideally just be a solo performer. How do I get gigs? Get my music heard? Gain contacts in the Sheffield music community? Just how do I get started? I know nothing about where to even begin looking. Please help.

Hello I messaged you let us no your YouTube I love music!

Go to open mic nights; you'll get valuable experience of performing your songs live and meet like minded people and make useful connections.

Yes, as already mentioned, go to open mic nights, play your songs a million times wherever and to whoever you can. But most importantly, hang around and talk to the other players, and the old guys who've been doing it for years. Ask questions about gear, technique, performing, and listen. And appriciate what they do even if it's not your thing. They'll love you, and by the time you're 18 you'll have a huge network of friends willing to give you all their experience to help you achieve what you want.

Good luck

Networking is important online too. Check out other similar musicians and venue's posts on youtubeand facebook etc and leave complimentary comments and likes. These people will occasionally wonder who you are and look your own profile up. They might then start following you and liking your posts. If a big venue or popular youtube artist does this you could get noticed a lot more.

There has never been a time in history when it has been easier to get your stuff heard, but you still have to work at it because there are millions in the same position. Online, join everything, follow lots. Always post links to your channel!! A link posted on this forum might get you half a dozen views (they all count) A link on one of the music subs on Reddit might get you hundreds in an afternoon. You will have to grow a thick skin as not everyone will be positive and those that do like your ideas will steal them, music is a dirty business at all levels. Don't just rely on Youtube, there are loads of platforms...following like minded musos will aid in seeking  them out.

Can you get to Open Mike nights? F'r instance, Smiffies Bar in Dronfield every Thursday night, Dronfield Sports and Social Club every Tuesday night...you would obviously need a parent with you...Nether Edge Folk Club every Wednesday....

Make sure you tag your YouTube videos well,  there are tutorials online for doing this. Maybe cover a really popular song and put that on your channel too, people will find your channel by searching for the song and then might listen to your original songs as well.  Try distrokid for getting your recordings onto streaming sites and also do all of the above suggestions too.

Copyright your stuff, and always bring your parents along to anything arranged on a forum.

I have a daughter the same age as you (she has a twin brother who is a drummer) but she plays violin and bass.

Sadly they live in Manchester but she is very musical and would make a good collaborator.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make it in time

Mart