Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Do you tip the police as well??

They deal with far worse to 'earn their money'

I don't feel obliged to tip and I rarely do it. Now that I've read your argumentation, maybe I should start...

I hear Templegate is very good at tipping.

Do you tip the police as well??

They deal with far worse to 'earn their money'

The police don't take tips, that'd be bribery.

Why do people feel obliged to tip taxi drivers? I find it astonishing in this day and age.

My fare last night was £9.70 - I gave the driver a tenner and waited for my change. Why? He didn't speak for the entire journey. I don't even think he said hello. Now if he had been friendly and talkative then I would have probably gave him £12.

The same goes for restuarants. People feel obliged to tip when in reality these people are doing a job they are already getting paid for.

Others might have tipped him for not being talkative.

Others might have tipped him for not being talkative.

I tip quiet drivers double.

Why do people feel obliged to tip taxi drivers? I find it astonishing in this day and age.

My fare last night was £9.70 - I gave the driver a tenner and waited for my change. Why? He didn't speak for the entire journey. I don't even think he said hello. Now if he had been friendly and talkative then I would have probably gave him £12.

The same goes for restuarants. People feel obliged to tip when in reality these people are doing a job they are already getting paid for.

But if the staff in the restaurants are giving good service, why wouldn't you tip them?

I will tip if the food and service is good, and I hope that lots of other people do too. I know that must be a pain for you, because if lots of others tip for good service, it'll make you look like a tight wad when you don't tip ;)

But if the staff in the restaurants are giving good service, why wouldn't you tip them?

Because you can get good service in lots of other places where you wouldn't dream of tipping...

Tip taxi drivers? After you've given them directions to where you want to go, I don't think so.

Well said. The taxi guys earn their money. They experience threats, violence, disgusting behaviour and worse. I like to show my appreciation............so I tip.

Well my advice; don't threaten them with violence & behave yourself in the back of their taxi.

Seriously, like others if a fare comes to say £8.70 & I have £9 available in change then they'll get £9. If I've got a tenner then they might get £9.50, unless they're like the taxi driver a few years ago heading to the Midland station who's idea of helping was to not even get out of his seat to help my wife & elderly mother with heavy bags but to just 'pop' his boot open.

He apparently got what he charged.

Tip taxi drivers? After you've given them directions to where you want to go, I don't think so.

Yeh and when they took a wrong turning accidently on purpose. :hihi:

The amount of greed in America astounds me. I stick with Australia now. Try offering a tip in Queensland and your likely to get a bunch of fives.

Canadian and American wait staff are allowed to be deliberately underpaid and one is expected to tip a minimum of 15% of the total bill. It is an unwritten courtesy that is expected in the hospitality industry, it has nothing to do with greed.Without the tips, wait staff would be very poor indeed. These workers are not covered by the minimum wage laws. Taxi Drivers are a different issue, tips are not expected and are totally at the fare's discretion. Anyone who thinks I am wrong will probably get my points clarified on google or the like.