Tipping Taxi Drivers?

I always try to give a small tip if Im paying cash. The same with takeaway delivery drivers.

So many people use and pay via apps etc now that I bet the amount of tips they get has dropped massively.

i dont normally tip unless very good service or conversation and an enjoyable experience.

taxi drivers may not be wealthy but they dont do bad judging by the amount of taxis parked around and on drives in netheredge, carterknowle and ecclesall.

How much do they declare on the Tax form . :hihi:

The average pay for wait staff in the USA is a little over $2 per hour, do the maths. Without tipping they would receive a paltry $80 per 40 hour week. Also take into consideration, health benefits will not be paid by the employer.

I tip more in the States than I do in Canada where the minimum wage is in British Columbia $11.40

The average pay for wait staff in the USA is a little over $2 per hour, do the maths. Without tipping they would receive a paltry $80 per 40 hour week. Also take into consideration, health benefits will not be paid by the employer.

I tip more in the States than I do in Canada where the minimum wage is in British Columbia $11.40

Yes, the minimum wage is around $14 in Ontario it was $11.5 but the Liberal Premier made an election bid by giving it a big boost(she was ousted anyway lol ). However bar and wait staff get about half that, the rest has to come from tips.

Canadian and American wait staff are allowed to be deliberately underpaid and one is expected to tip a minimum of 15% of the total bill. It is an unwritten courtesy that is expected in the hospitality industry, it has nothing to do with greed.Without the tips, wait staff would be very poor indeed. These workers are not covered by the minimum wage laws. Taxi Drivers are a different issue, tips are not expected and are totally at the fare's discretion. Anyone who thinks I am wrong will probably get my points clarified on google or the like.

You are correct but America always likes to be portrayed as a proud nation and to doff caps and crawl for tips seems a funny way to conduct things over there. I am aware of how it works and that is why I always tip and I don't object to it at all but they should adopt a better system. In many parts of Australia it is regarded as an insult because it is like saying you consider me as inferior to you.

---------- Post added 27-10-2018 at 11:27 ----------

Well said. The taxi guys earn their money. They experience threats, violence, disgusting behaviour and worse. I like to show my appreciation............so I tip.

For a time I drove buses. I never expected or received a tip. In that time I was assulted during which a £200 pair of spectacles were broken. I was blinded twice by lasers, a very worrying time. I had a cigarette stubbed out on the back of my hand. Windows put through with bricks and once a javelin stolen from a local school was put through the windscreen,plus numerous threats even though I was always polite to people .

Edited by spilldig

I would be inclined to tip a taxi if he DIDN'T speak! Wanting a quiet journey a while ago, I told him I would be reading, he then asked if I read religious books, it didn't go down very well............

You are correct but America always likes to be portrayed as a proud nation and to doff caps and crawl for tips seems a funny way to conduct things over there. I am aware of how it works and that is why I always tip and I don't object to it at all but they should adopt a better system. In many parts of Australia it is regarded as an insult because it is like saying you consider me as inferior to you.

---------- Post added 27-10-2018 at 11:27 ----------

For a time I drove buses. I never expected or received a tip. In that time I was assulted during which a £200 pair of spectacles were broken. I was blinded twice by lasers, a very worrying time. I had a cigarette stubbed out on the back of my hand. Windows put through with bricks and once a javelin stolen from a local school was put through the windscreen,plus numerous threats even though I was always polite to people .

I agree with your dislike of the tipping system in North America, I have never liked it. The powers that be allow bars and restaurants to charge whatever they like but only have to pay their staff a pittance leaving Joe Public to pick up the balance. Saying that, in Canada, I know some bartenders who make a good living at it, it all depends on how busy their place of work is.

getting back to tipping taxi drivers,

how many of you have been tipped by a taxi drivers or have you been chipped

I always give the taxi driver a small tip, as I feel guilty for making them drive me home to the back end of nowhere (AKA Stocksbridge).

Because you can get good service in lots of other places where you wouldn't dream of tipping...

This. I get good service in shops too, but wouldn't dream of tipping in Tesco, so why in a restaurant. Besides, lots of restaurants add a service charge anyway.

As for taxis, just use Uber. The issue never comes up.

It is a long held custom to tip taxi-drivers. It is only a quid or so. Unless you are genuinely hard up you should always tip. You don't want to be stingy.

:hihi: Imagine tipping everybody for just simply doing their job. You would have to have a lot of dosh. :gag: