Tipping Taxi Drivers?

Why do people feel obliged to tip taxi drivers? I find it astonishing in this day and age.

My fare last night was £9.70 - I gave the driver a tenner and waited for my change. Why? He didn't speak for the entire journey. I don't even think he said hello. Now if he had been friendly and talkative then I would have probably gave him £12.

The same goes for restuarants. People feel obliged to tip when in reality these people are doing a job they are already getting paid for.

I don't feel obliged, but I frequently do. If the fare ends in anything north of fifty pence I usually round up to the next pound. If it's less I usually round up to fifty.

Why? I always use the same company (when I'm at home) and they always give pretty good service and it's a way of showing my appreciation. Taxi drivers aren't the wealthiest people around and they put up with a lot of hassle - I like to do them a good turn.

As you say its down to the service you get. Good service i will tip if its rubbish i wont.

I think it mainly stems from older days when service jobs like taxing and waiting / waitressing didn't pay much.

I know some taxi drivers who own the vehicles they drive in and they don't always get remunerated mileage costs by the firm they drive for, so I suppose a quid or two on top of the fare is...fair :hihi:

I went to USA a few years ago and everybody over there wants a tip, dollar here and a dollar there.. went down the Grand Canyon.. coach to Mc"laren airport, tipbox.. 2seater plane over Canyon tipbox, Helicopter into Canyon tipbox, raft on the Colorado tipbox..A pilot with a tipbox who earns more money than me... every time you bought a drink, tip.. as you say its astonishing this day and age when we have minimum wage, I think its an old tradition dating back many years when people worked for peanuts in bars and restaurants, hairdressers are another one, nobody ever tipped me when I was working..Now I will give you a tip Ted, get on Birmingham to beat Owls tomorrow,, Have a nice day mate.

I went to USA a few years ago and everybody over there wants a tip, dollar here and a dollar there.. went down the Grand Canyon.. coach to Mc"laren airport, tipbox.. 2seater plane over Canyon tipbox, Helicopter into Canyon tipbox, raft on the Colorado tipbox..A pilot with a tipbox who earns more money than me... every time you bought a drink, tip.. as you say its astonishing this day and age when we have minimum wage, I think its an old tradition dating back many years when people worked for peanuts in bars and restaurants, hairdressers are another one, nobody ever tipped me when I was working..Now I will give you a tip Ted, get on Birmingham to beat Owls tomorrow,, Have a nice day mate.

The amount of greed in America astounds me. I stick with Australia now. Try offering a tip in Queensland and your likely to get a bunch of fives.

I think it mainly stems from older days when service jobs like taxing and waiting / waitressing didn't pay much.

I know some taxi drivers who own the vehicles they drive in and they don't always get remunerated mileage costs by the firm they drive for, so I suppose a quid or two on top of the fare is...fair :hihi:

The older days when people had manners. Something that seems to be lacking in modern society.

As I said, if the driver had strung up a conversation and had been polite he would have got a tip.

Why should tipping be restricted to taxi drivers, hairdressers and waiters...plus maybe a couple more...

I ran my own business for over 35 years, and didnt get any tips...apart from the obvious 'don't run with scissors'

My wife, when in the health industry, never received tips....

It is acknowledged that nurses are not the highest paid....do they get tips?

I object to 'having' to give tips...

Why should tipping be restricted to taxi drivers, hairdressers and waiters...plus maybe a couple more...

I ran my own business for over 35 years, and didnt get any tips...apart from the obvious 'don't run with scissors'

My wife, when in the health industry, never received tips....

It is acknowledged that nurses are not the highest paid....do they get tips?

I object to 'having' to give tips...

I don't feel i have to and since the minimum and living wage frequently don't - but i agree with your sentiment.

I don't feel obliged, but I frequently do. If the fare ends in anything north of fifty pence I usually round up to the next pound. If it's less I usually round up to fifty.

Why? I always use the same company (when I'm at home) and they always give pretty good service and it's a way of showing my appreciation. Taxi drivers aren't the wealthiest people around and they put up with a lot of hassle - I like to do them a good turn.

i dont normally tip unless very good service or conversation and an enjoyable experience.

taxi drivers may not be wealthy but they dont do bad judging by the amount of taxis parked around and on drives in netheredge, carterknowle and ecclesall.

<<I object to 'having' to give tips... >>>

the instance I was thinking of here is when a group of you go out and share the bill at the end of the evening... and the worker-out says it is so much including the tip...

Well said. The taxi guys earn their money. They experience threats, violence, disgusting behaviour and worse. I like to show my appreciation............so I tip.