Gym owner willing to give thief a 2nd chance

I feel it is very decent of the guy. A lot of people would want vengeance.

From Sheffield Star:

But Ross said the thief is only a teenager and*if he is prepared to admit his actions and work off the cost of the repairs to the roof which need to be carried out after the break-in, he will ‘help*him turn his life around’.

He said: “The name I have is of a teenager of about 16 or 17 and I know where he lives, but I have given him three days to admit what he did and to agree to work off the cost of the roof repairs that need to be paid for after he broke-in.

“If he comes forward the that will be the end of it because although he is old enough to know right from wrong he is young enough to turn his life around.”

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-gym-owner-ross-burkinshaw-gives-thief-three-days-to-admit-break-in-1-9411586

I'm not in favour of criminals and victims getting together to negotiate their own justice. It's a very slippery slope. You end up with the rich paying off victims.

You end up with the rich paying off victims.

Sorry don’t know what you mean by that

Please could you elaborate

I'm not in favour of criminals and victims getting together to negotiate their own justice. It's a very slippery slope. You end up with the rich paying off victims.

I think you've misunderstood. Restorative justice involves the offender admitting their responsibilty, acknowledging the damage and hurt caused and working with the victim to make amends. What you are describing is offenders buying silence.

well done i say,it will or could prevent him from a criminal record,which could affect his future life,i hope it all works out for everyone

I think you've misunderstood. Restorative justice involves the offender admitting their responsibilty, acknowledging the damage and hurt caused and working with the victim to make amends. What you are describing is offenders buying silence.

It's exactly the same thing which is why I said it was a slippery slope. How is someone working to pay off the roof costs (which could be substantial), any different to someone paying the victim some money to cover the costs.

The courts and justice system should decide what the punishment is. If the gym owner successfully negotiates his own justice with the criminal instead of prosecuting, will he take responsibility if the criminal breaks into another building next month, doubt it.

Let some of the clientele go round and ask him why he thinks it's acceptable to be disrespectful.

Ok in theory not in practice, its something most people wouldn't want, most would want them punished.

It's exactly the same thing which is why I said it was a slippery slope. How is someone working to pay off the roof costs (which could be substantial), any different to someone paying the victim some money to cover the costs.

The courts and justice system should decide what the punishment is. If the gym owner successfully negotiates his own justice with the criminal instead of prosecuting, will he take responsibility if the criminal breaks into another building next month, doubt it.

I think that you’ve put your brain on the wrong way today.

There is all the difference in the world between someone who breaks the law and then buys silence, and someone who is a victim of crime and then negotiates restitution.

Have a think about the difference between victim and perpetrator. Then you might get it.

I think that you’ve put your brain on the wrong way today.

There is all the difference in the world between someone who breaks the law and then buys silence, and someone who is a victim of crime and then negotiates restitution.

Have a think about the difference between victim and perpetrator. Then you might get it.

Go ahead and explain what the difference is instead of pointless insults.

I can only assume you think there's some significant difference between the victim contacting the criminal and naming his price to be bought off, and the criminal contacting the victim and asking what he wants to keep quiet. There isn't.

If this justice ideal became widespread thieves would pay the costs on the slim occasions they're caught and bank the profits when they're not, I imagine a lot more would take up the trade. Is that what you want?

I can only assume you think there's some significant difference between the victim contacting the criminal and naming his price to be bought off, and the criminal contacting the victim and asking what he wants to keep quiet. There isn't.

The gym owner isn't looking to be 'bought off'- here's what he says-

The former WBO European, Commonwealth and English champion said: “I would rather work with young people and get them off the streets rather than having them going around burgling and robbing. “Not many people would do this but I am willing to give him a second chance if he is man enough to admit what he did.”

The gym owner isn't looking to be 'bought off'- here's what he says-

He wants the thief to work off the roof repair costs. He may be well intentioned but why does he think he can do a better job than the justice system and professional rehabilitation workers. If he really wants to help young criminals and he can do better than the current professionals he should change career. Is he willing to accept responsibility if the thief robs my house under his care?

He is wrong when he says not many people would do what he's offering. If you get robbed the chances are you don't get your things back. What he has offered is for the thief to repair his roof so it puts him in his previous situation and in return he wont go jail.

It's selfish and misguided, a good deal for him and the thief perhaps, but what about anyone else who may get robbed.