Bonfire good old days

did you know pineapples make fantastic spooky lanterns? yes they seem far better,new craze i presume?

Still prefer them in chunks though.;)

Just a quick reminder about our bonfire event on Friday this week at the Transport Club...which will be the best ever!!!! As always, our main priority is keeping everyone safe throughout the evening so please pay attention to these very basic points...

There will be no on-site parking, but there will be disabled drop off access for anyone needing it.

As ever there will be no personal fireworks of any sort allowed on site.

Please supervise children at all times, and please don't let your under 16s visit the event without adults accompanying them.

Our bars will serve only plastic glasses for both inside and outside use, and any bottles will be poured into plastic to prevent any glass injuries from discarded bottles.

We will have professional security staff on site at all times to ensure people keep away from hazardous areas, but please use your common sense and keep children well clear of the fire, it's fully fenced to a height of 6 feet...but we all know kids can move very quickly when they are excited!!!!

We hope everyone has a smashing time with us, and we'd like to thank everyone who has helped to put this event together again this year. It's only because we have such fantastic people working together in our area that we can keep this great family event going...so a huge thank you to everyone!!!!

I always remember the bonfire/firework display at Coldwell Lane - it all started by a torchlight procession from Crosspool, going up Sandygate Road, people would come out of their houses and follow the procession up to Coldwell Lane to the playing field, where enterprising people sold Bonfire toffee and toffee apples..... (Not had those for years!!!)

The torch-bearers would light the bonfire with the torches and later the fireworks would start. Kids would have their sparklers

The fireworks always finished with firework cannons firng at each other on the hill beyond the field and the message "Good Night" would light up..

For some reason one year, the cannon-fight and the Good Night message were displayed at the start of the show and not the end, which created a fair bit of hilarity!!!!

Them were the days!!!! :) :)

Slightly off topic who remembers making turnip lanterns for Halloween

Oh yes remember doing that also getting clay out the garden and making hand warmers. Going in the woods getting wood for bonfire night, stacking it at the last moment so people didn't come and pinch the it. Also the chestnuts and jacket potatoes, I remember my dad putting the chestnuts on a shovel and putting it on the edge of the fire to roast them. Then next day home from school for lunch trying to get the fire going again. Happy days.

As a kid we would have our guy fawkes on the main road as we were collecting money for fireworks.

For some reason one day our guy wasnt available. So we persuaded one of the lads,( Vic Waistnedge) to stuff straw up his toruser legs and coat sleeves for effect. We stuck a mask on him and sat him outside a shop on Langsett road. All went well untill a copper walked around the corner we legged it and as the copper took to kick poor old Vic he jumped up and sprinted down banforh Street .The look on the coppers face must have been a treat, (we wernt waiting to see)

I always remember the bonfire/firework display at Coldwell Lane - it all started by a torchlight procession from Crosspool, going up Sandygate Road, people would come out of their houses and follow the procession up to Coldwell Lane to the playing field, where enterprising people sold Bonfire toffee and toffee apples..... (Not had those for years!!!)

The torch-bearers would light the bonfire with the torches and later the fireworks would start. Kids would have their sparklers

The fireworks always finished with firework cannons firng at each other on the hill beyond the field and the message "Good Night" would light up..

For some reason one year, the cannon-fight and the Good Night message were displayed at the start of the show and not the end, which created a fair bit of hilarity!!!!

Them were the days!!!! :) :)

I remember going to a few of those there. I was in the band that led the procession and, as "payment", we were allowed to stay to enjoy the event.

well lets all enjoy our fireworks this year safely and have a great time this weekend,take advantage of the many events and family gatherings,but at all costs wrap up warm,and be safe and enjoy,what a great lot you all are,will do another post on hear soon thanks

I remember going to a few of those there. I was in the band that led the procession and, as "payment", we were allowed to stay to enjoy the event.

You would have walked right past where I lived!!!

We had booklets of tickets for the bonfire from school, which we sold to family/friends/neighbours.... :) :)

bet that was great having a band play,it would cost a fortune now to hire one for a event

On 10/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, Pkingy said:

Slightly off topic who remembers making turnip lanterns for Halloween

I remember spending hours trying to gouge out a turnip at Halloween.  There was a lot of competition between me and my sister for who could make the scariest one. It was blooming hard work though, but hours of fun

I remember bonfire night would be collecting wood for weeks always had to get center pole to build fire round,Iived in Worrall used to make Bonfire at Grange Farm sack of potatoes from farm throw them on to fire later they would come out burnt black but good to eat wonderful times,