Rehoming a Greyhound

The law states that all ex-racers, who are trained to chase anything that moves, have to be muzzled and on a lead at all times when out.

This is not at all true in this country, greyhounds whether ex-racers or not are NOT obliged by law to be muzzled or on lead in public.

I'm happy to admit that I have got it wrong if I have. Apologies.

At Rain Rescue we take in 1 greyhound from the track constantly. They are the nicest and sweetest dogs imaginable and just such characters.

Off the track they may take a week or two to get used to 'normal' life (comfy beds, warm houses, treats, constant attention, tv, hoover) all things that they won't have seen before in their lives no doubt - and the wonders of this particular breed are that they take it all in their stride (like the pun)!!

A lot of people as they are getting older will often say to us, oh I only want a small dog as I'm getting on in years now, nothing too big. What I reply is, Greyhounds are just the right height to have their collars put on - no bending down of achy joints - and you don't fall over them like you do a terrier, (its usually because they are in bed but we will ignore that).

Our resident greyhound at the moment is RALPH an ex racer that we have just taken off the tracks. He's lovely

Here's some more info and photos of him.

https://www.rainrescue.co.uk/ralph

If you are interested, please feel free to fill in his 'Enquire about Me' form on the website and have a chat with one of the Rain Rescue girls.

I'm happy to admit that I have got it wrong if I have. Apologies.

I'm sorry, but i find it really concerning that a home checker for a rescue could be so wrong on this point. These gentle souls struggle to find homes as it is without rescues reinforcing the stereotype that greys are dangerous dogs.