Location of New Street, Park in Sheffield

Hi St Petre - yes, there is this other New Street off West Bar (see my posts #4 & 6 above). Both New Streets can be found in the 1881 directory, and New Street, Park may have been renamed to avoid confusion, just as High Street, Park seems to have been renamed Bard Street. Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield" may have more information - I'll see if I can find my copy!

Edited by hillsbro

Hi St Petre - yes, there is this other New Street off West Bar (see my posts #4 & 6 above). Both New Streets can be found in the 1881 directory, and New Street, Park may have been renamed to avoid confusion, just as High Street, Park seems to have been renamed Bard Street. Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield" may have more information - I'll see if I can find my copy!

It was New Street, Park in 1855 according to names in Directories courtesy of Sheffield Indexers.

Also listed as New Street, Park in 1841 census.

Edited by DUFFEMS

Hi DUFFEMS - yes, New Street, Park can be found in early directories, as well as the New Street off Bank Street - see here from the 1825 directory. Streets were often renamed as the town expanded and outlying streets had the same name as ones in the town centre, but in this case the two New Streets seem to have had the same name for most of the 19th century.

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 13:50 ----------

I just looked in Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield" and as usual there is some interesting information - here are scans.