Open relationship

I dont think it would necessarily be wrong to view somebody differently because of their relationship style. Somebody that has only ever been in open relationships might have commitment problems or be a sex maniac, either of which might put a person off

Someone who's only ever been in monogamous relationships might be a control freak or a serial killer.

But chances are that they're just a normal person, so why would you leap to wild and unlikely conclusions?

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 14:41 ----------

I'd view them with suspicion, the lifestyle also.

Why? Is there something suspicious about being different to you?

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 14:42 ----------

Does their partner know that he or she is in an 'open relationship?'

I would also view with suspicion until that little detail was cleared up. Ask to meet the partner. Then if they're both in agreement that their's is indeed an open relationship, that's fine if you're happy with it too.

How bizarre.

Do you not believe people who tell you their single either, or indeed who say they're married or in a monogamous relationship?

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 14:43 ----------

I assume by 'met someone' he's meaning started a relationship with them, as opposed to just bumped into somebody new. Two very differwnt answers otherwise. OP, it would help to clarify.

I assume the opposite and they he literally meant "met someone". As in, introduced at some point, or got to know them at a hobby or at work.

If you met someone who said they were in an

"Open relationship" how would view them? How would you view the lifestyle?

I would view them as dishonest because it probably means that they are married and don't want to leave their wife/husband and can't tell them.

Why? Is there something suspicious about being different to you?

Because 'in an open relationship' sometimes means 'I'm unfaithful to my partner/spouse'.

I always thought that being in an open relationship meant both people can sleep with whoever them want. As a bloke, if that was me in the relationship I would be thinking that I`m always going to get less action than the female who is in the relationship with me. Unless of course I looked like Brad Pit. As it happens I look more like Woody allen :(

I suppose there are not many rules in these sort of relationships. So the guy could openly see prostitutes if he needed to?

As Woodview says, it depends what the OP actaully means.

Because 'in an open relationship' sometimes means 'I'm unfaithful to my partner/spouse'.

It can do.

Many years ago I was 'dating' a guy who told me he was in an open relationship. A few months down the line I learned that his partner viewed their relationship differently - that they had a monogamous relationship. Needless to say, I stopped seeing him after I learned this.

Don’t knock it until you try it ;)

A colleague of mine(currently single) is having a whale of a time with ladies in open relationships and he looks more like Gru than Brad Pitt. I don't think the husbands are aware of the open ness.

A colleague of mine(currently single) is having a whale of a time with ladies in open relationships and he looks more like Gru than Brad Pitt. I don't think the husbands are aware of the open ness.

I think you will find they are ;) lol

I think you will find they are ;) lol

One may think that - but they never want to meet him when hubbies around.:hihi:

It can do.

Many years ago I was 'dating' a guy who told me he was in an open relationship. A few months down the line I learned that his partner viewed their relationship differently - that they had a monogamous relationship. Needless to say, I stopped seeing him after I learned this.

What you’ve described is not an “open relationship”...you have described a relationship based on deceit...

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 22:00 ----------

I'd view them with suspicion, the lifestyle also.

Wrong and closed minded as you can get..

I always thought that being in an open relationship meant both people can sleep with whoever them want. As a bloke, if that was me in the relationship I would be thinking that I`m always going to get less action than the female who is in the relationship with me. Unless of course I looked like Brad Pit. As it happens I look more like Woody allen :(

I suppose there are not many rules in these sort of relationships. So the guy could openly see prostitutes if he needed to?

As Woodview says, it depends what the OP actaully means.

Sorry for being off topic, but I always hoped you looked like your avatar:love: