HD / DVD recorders

I have a Sony Hard drive / DVD recorder. I recrod things from the TV onto the hard drive andhten, if I want a permanant copy, copy onto a DVD.

Now, the hard drive has failed and I'm trying to replace the machine. Howver, the only ones I can see on Amazon are second hand. Are such things not made any more?

with the increase in streaming media at both Full HD and 4K resolutions, not many people want to record summat at standard definition onto physical media anymore

with the increase in streaming media at both Full HD and 4K resolutions, not many people want to record summat at standard definition onto physical media anymore

Maybe - but I do! I usually want to keep stuff that is only on a watch again service for a short time and won’t be on a box set on Netflix etc.

It's a Sony RDR-HX510 DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive

It may be possible to replace the hard drive. If the procedure is the same as in the link, I will need to buy a Sony service remote as well as the HD drive itself, so I think my preference would be to buy a more modern version of the whole machine if possible.

Thanks for your help.

It's a Sony RDR-HX510 DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive

It may be possible to replace the hard drive. If the procedure is the same as in the link, I will need to buy a Sony service remote as well as the HD drive itself, so I think my preference would be to buy a more modern version of the whole machine if possible.

Thanks for your help.

as said above, everything is moving to streaming nowadays, and lots of TV's allow you to plug in a USB hard drive, and record directly to that now also...

with DVD's slowly dying, and blue-ray being the latest and greatest for physical media, a modern equivelent would be something like the Panasonic DMR-BWT850EB, it has a 1TB HDD, and a Blue-ray player/recorder, (yes, also records to DVD)

they aren't as popular as they once were either, so prices are now at a premium, looking around £450 for the unit I mentioned above...

then there's the Panasonic DMR-EX88 or DMR-EX88EB-K if you can find it, basic 400GB HDD, and just DVD recording, but they are old(er) stock now, still around £360 though..

The rest are Freeview HDD recorders, with DVD player only, no DVD recording functionality....

lots of TV's allow you to plug in a USB hard drive, and record directly to that now also...

How do you do this? How do you control what is recorded?

lots of TV's allow you to plug in a USB hard drive, and record directly to that now also...

How do you do this? How do you control what is recorded?

Unfortunately they're usually proprietary and you can't actually do anything with the recordings.

Panasonic still do them https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/hdd/dmr-ex97eb.html

UHD Blu-Ray is the latest format for physical discs.

It depends on the make and model of the TV or box.

I have a Humax Freeview box with external USB hard drive for recording.

I can take the drive and view the video files on a PC running Linux. (The box formats the drive to EXT2 or EXT3 I think)

There are even some third party programs on the Humax forums to extract the video from certain boxes with an internal hard drive via the USB port on the box.

But going back to Grahamfff's original problem - the failed hard drive is probably a standard IDE or SATA one, so should be easily replaceable.

It depends on the make and model of the TV or box.

I have a Humax Freeview box with external USB hard drive for recording.

I can take the drive and view the video files on a PC running Linux. (The box formats the drive to EXT2 or EXT3 I think)

There are even some third party programs on the Humax forums to extract the video from certain boxes with an internal hard drive via the USB port on the box.

But going back to Grahamfff's original problem - the failed hard drive is probably a standard IDE or SATA one, so should be easily replaceable.

Whilst physically easy to replace, formatting etc isn't - the link I gave earlier reports the need of a multipurpose remote to format etc. ;)