Cooling towers NE from Sheffield

V762 Cas in Cassiopeia at 16,308 light-years away. Its brightness is magnitude 5.8 or just above the 6th magnitude limit.

*sorry*

There is a viewing table at Ringinglow from which it is claimed you can see the Humber Bridge. In the right conditions you can see the towers via reflected sunlight, but I've never seen them with the naked eye. Lincoln Cathegral and various power stations are easy to spot from there. Lincoln Cathedral can also be seen approaching the Owler Bar roundabout from Fox House.

Humber Bridge is certainly viewable from Green Moor above Stocksbridge.

Snowdon can be viewed from Kinder Scout (http://portervalleydaydreams.blogspot.com/2017/02/snowdon-as-seen-from-kinder-scout.html), but I'm doubtful it can be seen from anywhere further East in the Peak because both mam Torr and Kinder would obscure it.

A curious question, but the group of cooling towers you can see NE from Sheffield is it drax? What is the furthest landmark you can see from within Sheffield?

I feel sure that you used to be able to see two cooling towers from the motorway at Tinsley but they seem to have gone now.

I feel sure that you used to be able to see two cooling towers from the motorway at Tinsley but they seem to have gone now.

That is evidence of the heavy air pollution in that area obscuring the view

Wow I never knew it would be possible to see Snowdonia or the Humber bridge! Or star V762 :)

Wow I never knew it would be possible to see Snowdonia or the Humber bridge! Or star V762 :)

Word on the street says the big bridge is cool, the mountains in Wales are a bit iffy.

Edited by Mister Gee

Looking east,the warning lights on Belmont TV transmitter are visible 55 miles away with the naked eye.

The transmitter is on the Lincolnshire Wolds is the single tower of lights next to the lights on the two chimneys at West Burton PS and Cottam PS(1 chimney).

In the daytime I can sometimes see The Sun pretty clearly and that is quite far away.

I think the furthest landmark you can see from Sheffield, given a clear day, is the Sun. A mere 149.6 million kilometres away. Warning! Don't use binoculars.

I think the furthest landmark you can see from Sheffield, given a clear day, is the Sun. A mere 149.6 million kilometres away. Warning! Don't use binoculars.

You can actually see quite a bit further on a clear night :thumbsup:

True! The same thought occurred to me about half a second after clicking 'Submit Reply'.

Since when has the SUN been classified as a 'Landmark'?