New pelican crossing

So this morning my husband started grumbling about the new type of crossings where the green man no longer appears in front . I thought he was just being a grumpy old .... So having a crossing just outside our shop I watched what happened for a short while . Total confusion ensued . People had no idea where to look to see if it was safe to cross . Lots of people strained their necks to look up at the traffic lights to see if they were on red or green . There is no high pitched beep beep beep either. The person who is stood next to the button can of course look to their right but others can’t see it .Have we missed something?

Yes they are but people just don’t get how they work . No one is looking at the side but straight ahead . Also if someone is stood covering where the button is no one can see it but the person next to it .

I've grumbled about these for ages. I guess it's one of those modern 'improvements' on something that has worked very well for decades. I'd like to know what the reasoning is behind this design.

Also, where there are several crossings close together, eg where there are central refuges, especially at junctions, it can be confusing to know which button and light refers to which crossing

I've grumbled about these for ages. I guess it's one of those modern 'improvements' on something that has worked very well for decades. I'd like to know what the reasoning is behind this design.

Maybe DDA compliance.

Visually impaired people who may struggle to see a signal at the other side of a road. Maybe wheelchair bound people who need to have the signal at a lesser height.

I dont think its as simple as "grrrr... these modern ways".

The person who is stood next to the button can of course look to their right but others can’t see it .Have we missed something?

The new-style “Puffin” indicators, located at waist height on the same side of the road, were designed to encourage pedestrians to look at oncoming traffic and use special sensors to detect people at crossings.

They were introduced as an alternative to the “Pelican” – used to describe Pedestrian Light Controlled (PELICON) systems – which display the flashing green “running man” on a traffic light on the opposite side of the road.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/9241663/New-inquiry-into-Puffin-pedestrian-crossings-amid-safety-fears.html

Maybe DDA compliance.

Visually impaired people who may struggle to see a signal at the other side of a road. Maybe wheelchair bound people who need to have the signal at a lesser height.

I dont think its as simple as "grrrr... these modern ways".

Try some more 'maybes' because they're ridiculous.

Do you think that I think it's as simple as 'grrrr... these modern ways'? Did I say something that implies that?

Do you think that I think it's as simple as 'grrrr... these modern ways'? Did I say something that implies that?

How are they DDA compliant, wouldn't they need to beep for blind people who wouldn't be able to see the green man.

How are they DDA compliant, wouldn't they need to beep for blind people who wouldn't be able to see the green man.

Who are you asking?

Firstly, yes, you sort of did imply it when you said this in your earlier post.....

I've grumbled about these for ages. I guess it's one of those modern 'improvements' on something that has worked very well for decades.

Secondly, why do you think they are so rediculous?

What is so wrong about a crossing indicator being put closest to the point where there pedestrians are who need to observe it. Surely its far easier to have an idicator next to someone rather than at the opposite side of a carraigeway.

Puffin Crossings are also sensor controlled units which detect if a pedestrian is still present or has walked away. That stops all those times when traffic is brought to a halt for no reason as the Puffin Crossing box cancels the call if there is no pedestrian detected on the sensor.

The DFT's own documents make reference to assisting visually impared people and wheelchair bound people. PS: visually impaired does not automatically mean blind, and even for those who are, these crossings have a moving tactile knob underneath the signal which spins when the crossing is on green.

So, are they really such a bad thing.

Firstly, 'sort of implying' something doesn't really cut it for me, especially with the tone of your comment being quite patronising.

Secondly, the point about them being for the visually impaired kind of falls short if someone is standing right next to the light blocking everyone elses view, which, in my experience happens frequently and which is my prime complaint about them. For most people, the lights positioned on the opposite side on pelican crossings are, and have always been, perfect. At busy times everyone can see them (unless visually impaired, of course).

All the other improvements made for the visually impaired and wheelchair users, or others of low stature could have been brought in as well as, and not at the expense of, the tried and tested methods we have enjoyed previously.

So in short, what I think is ridiculous, is the idea that taking down the lights opposite is helping the visually impaired etc.

Goodbye, farewell, adieu. Please don't bother me with this nonsense again.