Monitor kaput! Could it be caps need replacing?

My monitor (about 8 years old iirc) has developed a fault. It works for a bit, maybe an hour, then screen shuts off. Also, is making a buzz/hiss noise. Could that be due to knackered capacitors? Thinking of taking it apart for a visual inspection; how do I tell if caps need replacing? Any tips?

Thanks.

The capacitors usually bulge if they are faulty.

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a new monitor? They are pretty cheap these days and I don’t like the sound of an 8 year old monitor that buzzes.

That's a consideration for sure. It's 1920x1200 though, so they tend to cost a little more (than 1920x1080). Also, a few quid for the caps, and maybe 1 or 2 hours to replace? Also, greener to fix it.

That's a consideration for sure. It's 1920x1200 though, so they tend to cost a little more (than 1920x1080). Also, a few quid for the caps, and maybe 1 or 2 hours to replace? Also, greener to fix it.

About 50-60 quid for a full-HD 21.5" monitor.

About 50-60 quid for a full-HD 21.5" monitor.

Thanks geared. Yeah, was looking at a 24" Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1200 around 190 I think. Have a spare 21.5" 1920x1080 I can use as a stop-gap.

presume its lcd with flourescent back light, at 8 year old with regular use would be getting to old age for the ccfl. The hiss ( if its not coming through the speakers - could be the inverter trying to fire up the dying tube or fault on same). Good reason for replacing monitor with led back light one as should last forever- well much longer time. Can you still see the image tho very dark on the screen?

Any neighbors missing a pet snake? I had a spider short one out,that hissed and made barbecue spider smelly smoke but when cleaned off remnants tv worked fine tho stunk still for a while.

Okay, took the back of the monitor, following this guide (I have some monitor):

Got to the two PCBs.

On the power board, can't see any issues other than 'goo' on some components; not sure if that should be there? See photos...

On the smaller board, the chap in the video mentions he's had a fault with 2 monitors and in both cases it was the middle 2 caps. So, tempted to replace all 4 caps on that board.

He mentions polarity, is there some kind of +/- on the caps, so I can make sure I put new ones in the correct way around?

Any tips/suggesions?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WmZcPRqQuL8HoVoJ7

---------- Post added 18-10-2018 at 13:15 ----------

presume its lcd with flourescent back light, at 8 year old with regular use would be getting to old age for the ccfl. The hiss ( if its not coming through the speakers - could be the inverter trying to fire up the dying tube or fault on same). Good reason for replacing monitor with led back light one as should last forever- well much longer time. Can you still see the image tho very dark on the screen?

Any neighbors missing a pet snake? I had a spider short one out,that hissed and made barbecue spider smelly smoke but when cleaned off remnants tv worked fine tho stunk still for a while.

No pet snakes in the neighbourhood that I'm aware of!

It's a Samsung Syncmaster 2442.

It works, I can use it for a few hours, but then it keeps going off; the blue power light stays on, the display just goes black.

Got to the two PCBs.

On the power board, can't see any issues other than 'goo' on some components; not sure if that should be there? See photos...

On the smaller board, the chap in the video mentions he's had a fault with 2 monitors and in both cases it was the middle 2 caps. So, tempted to replace all 4 caps on that board.

He mentions polarity, is there some kind of +/- on the caps, so I can make sure I put new ones in the correct way around?

Any tips/suggesions?

It works, I can use it for a few hours, but then it keeps going off; the blue power light stays on, the display just goes black.

If you shine a torch on the screen when it goes black can you see the display?

Got to the two PCBs.

Any tips/suggesions?

The caps look fine, in all honesty, your issue doesn't sound like the capacitors at all, it sounds more like a heat issue, or just simply that it's got too old..

(as capacitor faults usually prevent it turning on unless it's seemingly "warmed up" a bit, and not randomly going off after so long use)

Thanks chaps. I'll put it back together and test the backlight thing.

Anyone know what the white goo stuff is all over the first board?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNQSVMViS8Yly95xHBKwLoRWHuKVzbX43z9s6-bmSfT4RvGXgoRmvWLy-BCgupSQA/photo/AF1QipO0OO6Gp_PzyaCO0M3iG0RSgYhCDVu_oHBTdIJK?key=LUttbzlfOXJlcFo4N0JKQzBxYjZNdUNGbk5UQzlB