Stupidly loud fireworks - time to licence them?

Lets ban cats for the sake of the millions birds and small rodents they mutilate for pleasure every year.

Lets ban dogs for the diseases they can spread that causes blindness in children.

Lets ban rabbits & budgies for their own sake because its cruel to confine them to small cages for our amusement.

Lets ban the concept of Father Christmas because it trivialises the act of a stranger trespassing and lurking around in sleeping childrens rooms.

Etc etc

Bit of a difference between those things though and giving total cretins access to explosives for a few weeks a year.....

Lets ban cats for the sake of the millions birds and small rodents they mutilate for pleasure every year.

Lets ban dogs for the diseases they can spread that causes blindness in children.

Lets ban rabbits & budgies for their own sake because its cruel to confine them to small cages for our amusement.

Lets ban the concept of Father Christmas because it trivialises the act of a stranger trespassing and lurking around in sleeping childrens rooms.

Etc etc

No lets not ban any of those ,just explosives in the wrong hands.:|

I’m not a meat eater so do I have your permission to worry about the welfare of animals???

Thankfully my life doesnt revolve around other peoples pets, on the 6th I'll be picking up burnt out firework casings, you'll be picking up dog turds, enjoy.

The displays in the local parks used to be good, child friendly with a nice community vibe. Then they were stopped and replaced with After Dark- stuck out in a field in an industrial wasteland, security herding you around like cattle, 30 min bar and toilet queue, fenced 100m back from the fire, overpriced fairground rides and food stalls, shady characters looking to rob you, and your ears assulted by Our Tina & Bazza off of Pulse FM breakfast show and a boy band from 2011 X-Factor quarter finals. The fireworks are great but I'd rather not. So I go buy my own, possibly too powerful for the size of my garden but I love a good display!

I agree - the local park free displays were great and accessible to all.

After Dark is a nightmare for the reasons given in the above post and too expensive, public transport also packed. Not an enjoyable evening especially for those with young children - it's more geared up to young teenagers.

The park displays were presumably stopped because of funding but savings in one area probably lead to more expense with fire/police/ambulance services due to more people doing their own bonfires/displays and causing more risks/accidents.

If I said something was blue there is always someone who is going to say it is red, let the simple people enjoy the noise and lights once a year, just like 90% of drivers on the motorway can't stop rubber necking at flashing blue lights on the opposite carrigeway.

I agree - the local park free displays were great and accessible to all.

After Dark is a nightmare for the reasons given in the above post and too expensive, public transport also packed. Not an enjoyable evening especially for those with young children - it's more geared up to young teenagers.

The park displays were presumably stopped because of funding but savings in one area probably lead to more expense with fire/police/ambulance services due to more people doing their own bonfires/displays and causing more risks/accidents.

I suspect the people misusing fireworks now would still be misusing them if there were free displays in every park in Sheffield,I mean, what's the fun in watching some one else do it when you can pretend to be GI Joe yourself? :)

Does nobody understand logic and how to apply it anymore?

Being a meat eater and not wanting to see animals in unnecessary distress due to fire works is illogical to you then?

Being a meat eater and not wanting to see animals in unnecessary distress due to fire works is illogical to you then?

No. Read my original post.

I suspect the people misusing fireworks now would still be misusing them if there were free displays in every park in Sheffield,I mean, what's the fun in watching some one else do it when you can pretend to be GI Joe yourself? :)

I totally agree the idiots will still misuse them but it would be good if the non idiots could have a safer, enjoyable experience - especially for the youngsters. I still think public free events would mean less 999 calls to individual properties and therefore free up services to deal with idiots.

Its only a matter of time before somebodys killed by unlicensed fireworks some idiot blew a post box up at kimberworth :loopy:

People have been killed by "unlicensed" dogs - should we bring back the dog license?

People have been killed by "unlicensed" dogs - should we bring back the dog license?

Yes bring it back.

Funnily enough dog licences still exist in northern Ireland.