Stupidly loud fireworks - time to licence them?

Fireworks also cause immense mental distress to thousands of cats and dogs. I'd be happy to see them banned for sale to the public for that reason alone. Another good consequence of that would be that the organised displays could be restricted to bonfire night as opposed to the current situation where they start in October and go on for several weeks.

Cyclone..Why are you picking out Paula?

Loads of folks here agree with her...

Me included.

Agreed me included too.

For the final time: THAT IS THE ARGUMENT. That people misuse them. What other possible argument is there?

Why do you think that argument is enough to ban fireworks but not enough to ban everything else that can be misused?

I couldn't care less whether it's a minority or not - this week, in Sheffield alone, we've seen someone get their house burnt down, and two major police incidents. All related to fireworks. As well as the many people on here who all have their stories.

The police have posted on their social media that it was a weekend without major incident.

Obviously you think none of these issues are anything other than a "minor inconvenience", getting in the way of peoples fun. I think if you lived in any of these areas where problems are occurring, or were the victims in any of these instances, you may well feel differently.

I think that banning things is almost always the wrong response.

Anyway, it's absolutely pointless debating anything further, as the conversation goes around and around.

It wouldn't go around and around if you could actually articulate your argument.

It'll probably be debated in Parliament, so clearly there is public sentmant about this. Perhaps you could set up a petition about cars, vans, screwdrivers etc, and see if the general public also agree people shouldn't have them?

Perhaps you're deliberately missing the point about those items :roll:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231147

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 18:11 ----------

He's bored, and annoyed that people dare think differently?

On the contrary, I say that you wish to ban them because you're bored and you're arguing with me because you're annoyed that someone dares to think differently.

Ooh, look at that. Perhaps instead of attacking me, you should make a cogent argument? Did you think of that?

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 09:12 ----------

Here's an interesting one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/04/bouncy-castles-inflatables-should-banned-slide-injured-eight/

MP suggests that bouncy castles and inflatable slides should be banned.

Probably said many times but something needs to be done about how they sound, at least for our pets sake (it is our duty to protect them after all).

All the emphasis seems to be on their volume and not their visual attributes.

Fireworks also cause immense mental distress to thousands of cats and dogs. I'd be happy to see them banned for sale to the public for that reason alone. Another good consequence of that would be that the organised displays could be restricted to bonfire night as opposed to the current situation where they start in October and go on for several weeks.

As we have two dogs, one unafected in any way by even the loudest explosion, the other is reduced to shivering wreck, ban fireworks for the use of the public, only to be used by licenced displays on one day of the year.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

As we have two dogs, one unafected in any way by even the loudest explosion, the other is reduced to shivering wreck, ban fireworks for the use of the public, only to be used by licenced displays on one day of the year.

Angel1.

I think people's right to express their feelings through fireworks trumps the right of dogs and cats not to be upset by them.

I recall my father's funeral about five years ago. After the mass and the burial we had close friends and family back to the house for drinks and food. My dad's closest friend brought two massive rockets with him and we set them off around half three on a sunny, warm afternoon in May. It was a brilliant and cathartic moment. Did some local cats and dogs - and indeed people - get a shock and a degree of anxiety? Probably. Do I think it's fair that our right to express our feelings should have been curtailed? Absolutely not.

I think people's right to express their feelings through fireworks trumps the right of dogs and cats not to be upset by them.

I recall my father's funeral about five years ago. After the mass and the burial we had close friends and family back to the house for drinks and food. My dad's closest friend brought two massive rockets with him and we set them off around half three on a sunny, warm afternoon in May. It was a brilliant and cathartic moment. Did some local cats and dogs - and indeed people - get a shock and a degree of anxiety? Probably. Do I think it's fair that our right to express our feelings should have been curtailed? Absolutely not.

I was going to reply to your post very much in the negative, but as it concerns the loss of your Father (which I am truly very sorry for) I have decided that out of respect to refrain. We will have other disagreements along the way I am sure.:)

Angel1.

Posts have been removed that could be seen to breach forum Ts & Cs.

The bickering and personal comments end here.

I have always wondered why the male of our species is never more happy than when making lots of noise. As for my opinion of bonfire month, I have eight cats, nuff said.

Why do you think that argument is enough to ban fireworks but not enough to ban everything else that can be misused?

Because fireworks are an unnecessary recreational thing that no one could argue a ban on them would be impeding their life in any way.

Because fireworks are an unnecessary recreational thing that no one could argue a ban on them would be impeding their life in any way.

So is alcohol and drugs - unnecessary recreational things.

Licensing won't change the noise when they are set off, people just assume they'll only go off on the 5th. But with numerous weddings,festivals etc using them that won't be the case.

And knowing what the public and organisers are like they won't want hundreds of displays on a Monday night before work and school the next day. So it'll be Saturdays and Sundays,probably the weekend before and the weekend afterwards.

i most definitely do not believe their should be any further restrictions on fireworks . this seems to be another freedom that some killjoys would choose to deprive others of for purely selfish reasons. and that alone is for me sufficient reason for my belief their should be no further restrictions on the ownership and use fireworks.

i admit there are some irresponsible people that do take things to far but do not think we should have a blanket ban just because of them. other wise we'd ban all forms of transport, all alcohol use and all forms of smoking and celebration of any religious festival

there are also those that claim their pets suffer yet this annual event comes along for a few days at the same time every year yet they fail adequately train their pets to deal with this or to sedate their pets ....and some even leave them outside... thus proving really that they ought not to have pets