The Royal Family Discussion Thread

Angel1. Not a "Royal" lover in any way. Sorry.

bout time we agreed on someat

If some malady were to strike the "Royal" family and every one of them passed away over night, the visitors would still come to look at the Castles and all the stuff that goes with it. Lets face it, the chance of a Yank bumping into Lizzie in Aldi is, no chance. So to say they come to see the "Royals" is pie in the sky really.

Angel1. Not a "Royal" lover in any way. Sorry.

Not strictly true. I’m sure we’d still get visitors to look at the castles etc, but we get a lot of tourism due to royal events (births, weddings etc). Those visits wouldn’t happen.

Not strictly true. I’m sure we’d still get visitors to look at the castles etc, but we get a lot of tourism due to royal events (births, weddings etc). Those visits wouldn’t happen.

It all needs factoring in though. The question is, how much would we lose in tourism revenue, should the so-called royal family be dissolved? As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to keep the pantomime going would be if they bring in more money (relative to what we would get should they not exist, and all their assets transferred to public ownership) than they cost us in the benefits they receive.

Not that I have anything against them as human beings (which is in fact, all that they are).

Not that I have anything against them as human beings (which is in fact, all that they are).

whos families happened to steal all the land and wealth off the rest of us

but we get a lot of tourism due to royal events (births, weddings etc). Those visits wouldn’t happen.

Yes, we'd lose those but we'd regain our self respect as a modern nation which celebrates merit and achievement rather than celebrity, inherited power and wealth.

Yes, we'd lose those but we'd regain our self respect as a modern nation which celebrates merit and achievement rather than celebrity, inherited power and wealth.

Because Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium etc don’t have any respect as modern nations?

What nations do that?

whos families happened to steal all the land and wealth off the rest of us

Well, you can't hold the children responsible for the mis-deeds of their ancestors. Unless they're poor and powerless of course, then you can rob them left right and center.

What nations do that?

We could be the first.

Getting shot of those freeloaders would be a good start! :)

I'm sure the French are regretting they got rid of their royal family.

Just imagine how many more tourists they would get, if they hadn't?

they wouldn't just get 2.5 times the number of tourists, or 50 million more, than turn up in the UK every year. If they hadn't got rid of their royal family, they'd still get that 50 million more, plus about 27 other people.

I'm sure the French are regretting they got rid of their royal family.

Just imagine how many more tourists they would get, if they hadn't?

they wouldn't just get 2.5 times the number of tourists, or 50 million more, than turn up in the UK every year. If they hadn't got rid of their royal family, they'd still get that 50 million more, plus about 27 other people.

Really you comparing ours with theirs, don't forget ours had to change their name to confirm, so i guess you all are happy with our royals past performance, they were uneducated inbred privileged people, thank god we got new blood in there now. Although they now need to support there own.

I have to agree.

I have nothing against the queen, but she represents the head of a hierarchical system based on no other merit than an accident of birth. From the Aristocracy down, 'class' permeates every aspect of our entire society.

Yes, the Class system is alive and well in Britain, and I would argue, stronger than ever under this disgraceful Conservative government. Never was 'it's not what you know, but who you know' more true. They have turned Croneyism into an art form.

The post-war egalitarianism, and social mobility of the 50's, 60's and 70's has gone into reverse. Being judged on personal merit has been replaced by being judged by your money, power, and influence.

That's why I think the monarchy, the aristocracy and all that goes with it should end with Queen Elizabeth 11