The Royal Family Discussion Thread

I'm sure the French are regretting they got rid of their royal family.

Just imagine how many more tourists they would get, if they hadn't?

they wouldn't just get 2.5 times the number of tourists, or 50 million more, than turn up in the UK every year. If they hadn't got rid of their royal family, they'd still get that 50 million more, plus about 27 other people.

Did I understand you correctly? France would get 2.5x more tourists, if they had a so-called royal family? How are you arriving at that figure?

Did I understand you correctly? France would get 2.5x more tourists, if they had a so-called royal family? How are you arriving at that figure?

and theyd all sleep in the Calais "jungle" :hihi:

France gets 85 million tourists

UK 35 million

them not having a royal family doesn't seem to put people off coming, does it?

tourists don't care about any royal family. Better weather, food, and genuinely authentic surly service is far more important.

Ah, I did not understand you correctly blake.

I thought you were suggesting that, a France with a royal family would get 2.5x the amount of tourists than a France without a royal family would get.

Yeah, clearly there are many reasons for people to visit certain countries. I don't doubt that our so-callled royal family (and all the associated pantomime) does bring in some tourist dollars. I often hear people (who are in no way royalists) claim that the net financial effect of having a royal family, is positive (they bring in more than they cost). I'm not convinced myself, either way; neither do I think it's a simply calculation to make.

the only people who come to the UK for no other reason than to see the Royal family are the 12 American women nuts they let out of the stateside funny farm to camp outside the Palace for the 6 months prior to every royal wedding and who they interview in rotation on BBC news every time. Everybody else would come anyway.

There was soon story some years ago that Prince Andrew was not a royal at all but the son the queens square so is he could at all.

There was soon story some years ago that Prince Andrew was not a royal at all but the son the queens square so is he could at all.

English is not your first language, is it :huh:

Why those on the breadline and going to food banks, are waving their flags, I do not know.

I would sooner watch paint dry and have root canal surgery

Yes I’m watching it and enjoying it.

First glimpse of the bride wearing an off the shoulder dress and beautifully cut, she looks nice.

Hope she has a lovely day.

Edited by hauxwell

Damn right I’m watching it, since I paid for it.

Andrew will be there with that big smug grin of his and when he thinks how the taxpayer is contributing over £2m to save him spending his fortune, his grin will probably get bigger. She could have stopped a lot of the ill feeling towards this wedding had she said they would rather people made charitable donations than give wedding presents, after all they have more than enough money.

So my answer to the OP's question is an emphatic NO.