The Royal Family Discussion Thread

The reason that the pair are stepping back / partially relocating due to some perceived racial reasons is pure speculation.  Until they are interviewed at some point in the future & asked directly why they are doing what they are intending to do, that's all it is, pure speculation.  Some people just read to much into things. 

The BBC were interviewing people in the street and one black woman said that for her, Meghan had made the Royal Family more relatable to her. 

I thought, that's funny.  For most of my life the Royal Family have been totally white & I don't relate to them at all. 

Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace has said.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex also said they intend to repay £2.4m of taxpayer money for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.

The couple will also no longer formally represent The Queen.

The new arrangement will come into effect in spring this year.

From...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865?fbclid=IwAR2dCOZx4FMKFkZWW9fwV7NXH-zS5YsELyx8V7sU1Ux8CoFuMZFMJqMf2zM

Good for them. The repayment of the refurb money will please a lot of people.

43 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

From...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865?fbclid=IwAR2dCOZx4FMKFkZWW9fwV7NXH-zS5YsELyx8V7sU1Ux8CoFuMZFMJqMf2zM

Good for them. The repayment of the refurb money will please a lot of people.

Not piers Morgan or indeed anyone else who seems to think they have an insight in their marriage.

I hope they're happy and it all goes away.

44 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

The repayment of the refurb money will please a lot of people.

Its great that he can afford to pay the money back. Where did he earn the money?

42 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Its great that he can afford to pay the money back. Where did he earn the money?

This comment pretty much sums the whole thing up. Whatever they do people will find something to have a dig about :) 

1 - It doesnt say theyre paying it back in one go
2 - A lot of his money is inheritance from his Mum

3 - Meghan's worth about $5 million on her own from her acting career.

Edited by nikki-red

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

This comment pretty much sums the whole thing up. Whatever they do people will find something to have a dig about :) 

1 - It doesnt say theyre paying it back in one go
2 - A lot of his money is inheritance from his Mum

3 - Meghan's worth about $5 million on her own from her acting career.

Harry's also going to get a few million a year from the Duchy of Cornwall.

I'm  surprised they lasted this long in the UK.  Given what Harry went through after Diana was killed, his relationship with the media was always going to be cool at best, and Morgan, Vine and the rest of the fetid, attention-seeking, click-baiting, narcissistic, amoral arseholes have behaved as appallingly as expected now that their newspapers' promises to be nice to Diana's sons are a distant memory. 

Can't blame him for wanting  to try to protect his wife and child from all that.  No that it'll work.  They'll move to Canada and be Instagam-friendly, Gwyneth-adjacent influencers and mingle with the rest of the rich and privileged now that they're free of most royal responsibilities.  And no doubt the press will pursue and poke at them just as fiercely.

As a tax payer, I don't really give a toss what they do or where they live unless they expect me to contribute to their lifestyle.  Other than that, I wish them a long & happy life. 

Watching the news last night, it was revealed that if the Sussex's want the equivalent protection currently paid for by the tax payer, independently, it would the to pay £2 million at current costs.  Apparently, Megan's worth about £4 million, so they're good for at least 2 years. 

Now time to cast adrift the other Royal free loaders such as Andrew, Edward & the rest of their kids. 

I'd keep Princess Anne.  From what I've read over the years, she's the most hard working Royal....if you can call cutting ribbons a proper job. 

Edited by Baron99

I don’t know if it has been decided who is going to pay for their bodyguards yet, but if they do start to earn the millions some are predicting in the future, then they should pay for their own  security or contribute towards it,  and not the tax payer.  They are already worth a small fortune now.   

So they've had the HRH titles stripped from them but they still desperately want to use the internationally trademarked 'Sussex Royal' name/brand and still refer to themselves on their website as "Their Royal Highnesses".

I guess they want the Royal connection and the money making opportunities it brings WITHOUT any of their Royal duties. How very progressive of them to become Royal capitalists!

Edited by Car Boot

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

So they've had the HRH titles stripped from them but they still desperately want to use the internationally trademarked 'Sussex Royal' name/brand and still refer to themselves on their website as "Their Royal Highnesses".

I guess they want the Royal connection and the money making opportunities it brings WITHOUT any of their Royal duties. How very progressive of them to become Royal capitalists!

Eh? You think Megan has spent her sunday updating a website?

Harry knows that he is not needed as part of 'the firm'. He is 6th in line to the throne so can afford to say enough...he was originally the spare heir but with the birth of William's children he no longer fulfils that role. 

The media have been vile to him and Meghan and on top of that he has endured the continued stories about what his mother was supposed to have done or not done. When the whole Prince Andrew debacle erupted I think it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I wish him, Meghan and Archie a happy future away from the straight jacket that being a senior royal imposes. His mother was a beautiful woman who died before she got a chance of happiness so he should seize this chance with both hands.

54 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Eh? You think Megan has spent her sunday updating a website?

I don't think Meghan updates the website herself no, but The SussexRoyal website was updated after the announcement from Buckingham Palace on Saturday night.. 

"Update: 18th of January 2020

In line with the statement by Her Majesty The Queen, information on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be updated on this website in due course. We appreciate your patience and invite you to explore the site to see the current works of Their Royal Highnesses."