The Royal Family Discussion Thread

Prince Andrew - What appears to be a private jolly to watch The Open in N. Ireland, private, chartered jet, £16,000 cost to the taxpayer, even though there were plenty of scheduled flights in which would be cheaper.  He would still have his Royal protection officers with him during the stay, so security on a charter flight wouldn't be an issue. 

Similarly, Princess Anne, flight to Italy to watch the Six Nations rugby, another £16, 000.  I'd have thought that as she is  Patron of the Scottish Rugby Union, that organisation, with it's vast millions, would be picking up the tab, not the taxpayers once again?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-andrew-spent-16000-taxpayer-22739789

Edited by Baron99

On 19/08/2018 at 18:45, Top Cats Hat said:

Actually Americans love celebrity and admire conspicuous wealth.

The English royal family tick both those boxes.

Harry and Meghan
And what do this fortunate pair truly have to complain about, in a world where so many young couples struggle to make ends meet, where the young, especially, battle to find secure and rewarding work or to afford their own homes? The whole country fighting Covid and family deaths. Prince Phillip in hospital. etc etc

41 minutes ago, markfor said:
Harry and Meghan
And what do this fortunate pair truly have to complain about, in a world where so many young couples struggle to make ends meet, where the young, especially, battle to find secure and rewarding work or to afford their own homes? The whole country fighting Covid and family deaths. Prince Phillip in hospital. etc etc

does anyone actually care what they say or do?

On 10/09/2020 at 09:33, hauxwell said:

It wouldn’t surprise me, sometime in the future, as some are predicting she sets her sights on becoming the President of America.

There is a pending ammendment to the US Constitution which would strip citizenship from anyone who accepts a title from a foreign power.  It's been on the go for a couple of hundred years and needs quite a lot of states to ratify it for it to come into effect. But if she does have presedential ambtions and becomes open about them then I wonder if there would be renewed interest in it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titles_of_Nobility_Amendment

I pretty much stopped caring when Charles ditched Diana for Camilla Parker-Bowles, the woman with an even more ET neck than Gail Platt from Corrie.

22 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

I pretty much stopped caring when Charles ditched Diana for Camilla Parker-Bowles, the woman with an even more ET neck than Gail Platt from Corrie.

This.

How could Charles abandon Diana, one of the most beautiful women in the world, for horse-face Camilla?

I was furious when I heard that Charlie was banging Camilla even before he married Diana, and he only married Diana to breed a couple of Royal heirs to the throne.

I mean seriously, are we back in the 1500s again, where the King can snog / marry / kill his pick of the fillies by Royal decree ?

Sheesh 🙄

I know lots of people are very fond of the Royal family but I'm not a fan. I find the whole thing outdated and their sense of privilege makes my stomach turn. All those homes they have , all those jewles, all that land and all that money they posses could be put to good use housing and feeding the less fortunate but nope, they just keep getting richer and richer. 

It's sad really. 

The Queen has four jet aeroplanes apparently, called 'The Queen's Flight,' all stationed at Brize Norton.

I didn't even know she had one, let alone four!

Wonder what that costs?

52 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The Queen has four jet aeroplanes apparently, called 'The Queen's Flight,' all stationed at Brize Norton.

Wonder what that costs?

Yet, you might recall Wills "borrowing" a Chinook (not part of the queens flight) to visit kate or go to a party or something. But whose fault was that? Who was using the other 4 aircraft? Meghan! I mean, it must have been. 

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Wonder what that costs?

The 'The Queen's Flight' became part of 32 Squadron at  RAF Northolt in 1995.

The Queen has  just one helicopter that she has sole use of based at RAF Odiham-  'The Queen's Helicopter Flight'.

Based at RAF Brize Norton an Airbus A330 which is normally used for air-to-air refuelling and passengers, does get used for official overseas visits by the government and the Royal Family.

Boris had it painted in the Union Flag for £900 000 and the words 'United Kingdom' replacing 'Royal Air Force'.

The Monarchs family  still spend between £3 and 9million on travel depending on accounting. 
The Canadians were not happy with the thought of paying for security and travel for the two royal minors with their history of unnecessary and polluting travel options, who turned up on their doorstep last year so they left for California.
Thank you America, Netflix, CBS, the product placement advertisers, etc., for inflating their wealth.

Ever since Harry and Meghan were married i knew something would happen because I knew the royal family would not accept her into the family with her being of mixed race.

And with Harry not the real son of Charles it was only a matter of time before he would be kicked out.

They will have to be careful what they say in the future and avoid causing an embarrassment to the royal family or they will suffer the same fate as Diana...

15 hours ago, The Joker said:

This.

How could Charles abandon Diana, one of the most beautiful women in the world, for horse-face Camilla?

I was furious when I heard that Charlie was banging Camilla even before he married Diana, and he only married Diana to breed a couple of Royal heirs to the throne.

I mean seriously, are we back in the 1500s again, where the King can snog / marry / kill his pick of the fillies by Royal decree ?

Sheesh 🙄

Perhaps some people just aren't shallow and only go for looks ? "Love is blind"

Diana may have been naive at the beginning of the relationship, but she new "the deal" and wasn't forced to marry "Charlie".

I don't think he was keen either considering his infamous " whatever in love means" quote.

They'd both had been happier with others, that much is clear.

3 hours ago, alandrea0 said:

Ever since Harry and Meghan were married i knew something would happen because I knew the royal family would not accept her into the family with her being of mixed race.

And with Harry not the real son of Charles it was only a matter of time before he would be kicked out.

They will have to be careful what they say in the future and avoid causing an embarrassment to the royal family or they will suffer the same fate as Diana...

Wow , so many opinions without facts.

Seriously you think there were reservations because Meghan is of mixed "heritage" ? or because like Wallace Simpson before her, she's a divorcée with a track record of "speaking her mind" ? ( getting her own way ? )

Meghan has been quoted in this latest interview/circus that her "beef" is with the institution of the Monarchy not Harry's family personally.

Either way, by having this interview, their new status as Mr and Mrs Wales won't be far away...

Don't tar the memory of Saint Diana by suggesting she actually had a child out of wedlock who wasn't even "charlie's". Some posters on this forum will be most upset.

The same fate as Diana ? As in "dancing with the devil" ( media ) then getting upset when she can't control or pick and choose the monster she'd created ?

Considering their driver ( Henri Paul ? ) almost got an engine block up his nose but survived because he was wearing a seatbelt. Those sitting in the back seat weren't wearing their's.

They'd most likely be alive today if they had.