History of Empire should be taught in schools?

Where do we find the time to fit in all this extra history that needs to be taught, perhaps we can drop English and Maths?

Where do we find the time to fit in all this extra history that needs to be taught, perhaps we can drop English and Maths?

As a retired teacher, I think far too much time is spent on certain historical periods, (Romans and Tudors are done to death, interesting as they are) and other periods are completely neglected.

I'd like to see kids have a greater overall view (eg timeline etc) so they at least know where in history we're talking about, ('No Victorians didn't come before Tudors, Billy...') what is important about particular periods, and why we need to know about it.

Of course you can't cover it all, but a good teacher can at the very least spark their interest, and keep it, so they go on to learn more for themselves. Learning should be a lifelong experience.

A lot of kids don't see the relevance of learning history. They think it has nothing to do with them.

Perhaps it's all changed since I was at school, but we spent quite a lot of time on WWII and some on periods you mentioned. But since I didn't do History at GCSE level it's not like they could have fitted in a history of empire somewhere as well.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have started a new scheme and it is to be funded by voluntary donations.

The war cemeteries and memorials receive funding from all of The Commonwealth Countries for there upkeep, this scheme doesn’t.

They want to go into the schools and teach the children about The First and Second World War and the suffering it caused, but they have to raise the money to do this.

By dropping some of the stuff that is less relevant. That's how most curriculum development happens.

Our future Prime Minister thinks it is a good idea. Link.

Of course, History is an optional subject beyond age 14, so only those who choose to would get to study this stuff anyway.

By dropping some of the stuff that is less relevant. That's how most curriculum development happens.

Our future Prime Minister thinks it is a good idea. Link.

Of course, History is an optional subject beyond age 14, so only those who choose to would get to study this stuff anyway.

Another example of things being pushed too far, meaning he won't be, and people who his party has lost touch with will have no where to go.

Another example of things being pushed too far, meaning he won't be, and people who his party has lost touch with will have no where to go.

Is there any chance of a translation?

Is there any chance of a translation?

Corbyns shift away from people who have always supported Labour, leaves them without a party to vote for.

Corbyns shift away from people who have always supported Labour, leaves them without a party to vote for.

How does advocating a change in the History curriculum do that?

How does advocating a change in the History curriculum do that?

Parts of the history mentioned are valid things to learn no doubt. But what gets pulled? Is black activist history more important than the two world wars, the industrial revolution, the middle east, the miners strike etc? It's a niche headline grabber imo, in an effort to be right-on.

You might not see it, but Corbyn labour is leaving lots of its traditional support behind without a voice..

Parts of the history mentioned are valid things to learn no doubt. But what gets pulled? Is black activist history more important than the two world wars, the industrial revolution, the middle east, the miners strike etc? It's a niche headline grabber imo, in an effort to be right-on.

You might not see it, but Corbyn labour is leaving lots of its traditional support behind without a voice..

Good job I’ve got you to guide me then. You should give Jez a call to see if he’d like a common sense adviser.

As far as I can see, his proposals for the History curriculum are worthy of debate. He doesn’t get to decide what gets taught though, so you can relax.