Bakery found NOT to have discriminated against a gay couple

This topic was discussed in https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1547349

in this discussion I said ,quite rightly as It turned out, that the bakers were right to refuse service, i was in the minority then in supporting them and was called antigay etc, the attitude on this version seems to be more in favour of the bakers.

I have always said the Bakers were in the right. Any business should have the right to refuse to serve anyone they want.

I have always said the Bakers were in the right. Any business should have the right to refuse to serve anyone they want.

Well, not really. You can't get Christian bakers to make a pro gay message cake any more than you can get gay bakers to make an anti gay message cake. It's not about who they are refusing more the message they are refusing to make.

And without having to give a reason, if you are refused go some ware else that will.

And without having to give a reason, if you are refused go some ware else that will.

That's a little cowardly, if they want to refuse they should have the courage of their convictions and say why..

What should they be afraid of?

That's a little cowardly, if they want to refuse they should have the courage of their convictions and say why..

What should they be afraid of?

Idiots like the gay cake buyer for one, making a mountain out of a mole hill, and bringing false accusations ,which were widely accepted as true by some, and nearly causing bankruptcy .The baker should have said "sorry I don't want to make the cake" end of story.

Lets not confuse the issues here.

This was not a case about a refusal to serve but more a refusal to print the specific message the customers wanted because it was against their belief.

You really are not suggesting we give business carte blanche over who and how they serve are you.

Remember to good old days of No Blacks, No Irish, No Lone Women, No Gays, No Asians..... That is not some dark age. That was less than 50 years ago.

We dont want to get on the top of that slippery slope again.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Idiots like the gay cake buyer for one, making a mountain out of a mole hill, and bringing false accusations ,which were widely accepted as true by some, and nearly causing bankruptcy .The baker should have said "sorry I don't want to make the cake" end of story.

Hang on, you were advocating a world where a business could refuse for whatever reason.

So if that's the case, what should they be afraid of?

Common sense prevailed thank goodness. supposing the complainant had won, imagine the couple at the cake shop being forced to make a cake they don't want to make!

Exactly .......

Exactly .......

I'll ask you the same question.

In this world where refusal of service for any reason is the norm, what's the problem with saying why service has been refused, what's to be afraid of, why be a coward about it?

Surely it's better to avoid any confusion that a racist B&B owner says that black people aren't welcome on the basis that they're black. Word will get around that the owner is a racist and wants to avoid serving black people.

There could even be a sign in the window.

Edited by SnailyBoy