Plastic, should we stop using it?

We should cut down its use, but I dont produce any plastic that I use- I cant help using it if that is how the goods I buy are presented to me.

It annoys me that how some things are presented- I like to add extra milk to my McDonalds Latte to cool it down- and so get through about 10 of those daft plastic milk sticks that each hold about a teaspoon of milk. I wonder how many of those they get through in a day just in the UK.....1300 restaurants..guestimate 1000 sticks a day per restaurant - 475 million a year in landfill! Get a jug McDonalds!!

The store I worked at menu moons ago did have a milk jug.well it had 6 in the space of 2 months as they got dropped or stolen. At about 15 quid each they weren't cheap. Plus they still needed the milk sticks for takeaway customers.

Of course we should cut down where we can, but it should be mandatory that all plastic that has to be used is not only recyleable, but actually recycled.

---------- Post added 10-10-2018 at 17:00 ----------

The store I worked at menu moons ago did have a milk jug.well it had 6 in the space of 2 months as they got dropped or stolen. At about 15 quid each they weren't cheap. Plus they still needed the milk sticks for takeaway customers.

£15 quid for a milk jug? Where did they buy them? Harrods?

The jug comment was only half serious..a company as big as MD's could (if compelled) come up with a solution that works for them and the environment- for both take-away customers and dine-ins.

At present they are happy to use billions of plastic wrappers annually worldwide to give away milk in teaspoon sized portions.

The jug comment was only half serious..a company as big as MD's could (if compelled) come up with a solution that works for them and the environment- for both take-away customers and dine-ins.

At present they are happy to use billions of plastic wrappers annually worldwide to give away milk in teaspoon sized portions.

I actually hate all the little packets of things like sugar, salt, milk etc. Especially when sitting outside a cafe, where the slightest breeze turns it into litter if you're not careful. Proper china, milk jug and sugar bowl is so much more civilised, and also ceates a pot washing job. As for take aways, biodegradable paper / cardboard cartons are readily available, and you could always carry your own (collapsable?) mug.

I do like those self service bins you used to find in some shops for dry goods like cornflakes, flour etc. but I suppose it only takes one nutcase to contaminate a whole bin, so I do see why some shops might have banned them..

McDonald's is already making changes to how it manages waste and plastic use.

Years ago they switched from plastic foam boxes to cardboard. More recently they've introduced:

Separating bins (unfortunately relies on customers doing their bit)

Paper straws (and not leaving them in customer areas for delinquents to throw about)

Recycling cardboard (which the products are delivered to store in

Recycling waste oil (used to create bio-diesel which is used by the delivery trucks)

Waterless urinals

You're probably right in saying more could be done but there are a lot more food establishments that are doing far less.

I agree that we have to use less plastic, but 90% of the time we the consumer have no choice. Take prescription medicines, once upon a time the pharmacist dispensed them into little brown glass bottles and we returned them when we got our next prescription. Now we get them all in cardboard boxes with reams of paper and the actual pills in plastic. So thats just one way we have no choice.

I agree that we have to use less plastic, but 90% of the time we the consumer have no choice. Take prescription medicines, once upon a time the pharmacist dispensed them into little brown glass bottles and we returned them when we got our next prescription. Now we get them all in cardboard boxes with reams of paper and the actual pills in plastic. So thats just one way we have no choice.

Agreed- there's loads of examples...

I like a portion of green beans occasionally. I used to be able to pick a portion. Now I have to buy a pack of 5 portions, eat my portion and throw the bag and the rest of the beans away...

I agree.

I've heard of people removing all the packaging from their purchases and leaving it all in the supermarket after they've shopped. That's one way I suppose, although that doesn't alter the amount of waste, just maybe gets a message across.

The other is to vote with your feet and refuse to use shops which overdo the packaging, but it's almost impossible to avoid it altogether.

Morrisons butchers will put meat into your own packaging it says. I tiny thing, but something.

Also at old greengrocers, they put stuff in brown paper bags, surely supermarket could do that with loose produce, rather than plastic?