Bias councillor support of pret a manger

Im sure many have seen the recent horrible comments by Councillor Neale Gibson about the Pret a MAnger sandwich which killed a girl? TOby Foster suggested he shoudl be sacked! Basically Gibson suggested that the girls death was her own fault rather than poor labeling practices at Pret a Manger. While I think people with allergies do generally take repsosbilities for what they eat I thought it was outrageous that A councillor would use the death of a young girl to push his own business interests (he works inthe food industry it seems)....Not only that but he seems to have been a long time supporter of PRet a Manger (see here https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/pret-a-manger-to-give-away-hundreds-of-free-lunches-in-sheffield-1-8838765)...His latest outspoken nonsense though is even out of line with Pret a Amnger themsleves as they have taken responsibility......

How can he get away with such a callous attitude---especially when he is responsible for ensuring food safety and healthy living in our city.....Im with Toby FOster on this one---I think he should go..

I dont think an apology is enough

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/councillor-apologises-for-extremely-insensitive-comments-1-9385607

Heaven forbid a councillor should voice an opinion in public. :rolleyes:

its a pretty horrible opinion that shows his conflicts of interests----all for opinions being voiced but when in public office they have to be balanced and appropriate

Hes said plenty of other things over the years , he does need to remember hes a member of the council , he represents them and what people see makes them sad , what saw was that he made a hurtful comment , which is so sad for the girls family, such a hurtful thing considering they have lost their daughter .

Strange one this. Why would a local, (Walkley), councillor want to voice such an opinion? Does he have shares in Pret?

As far as I have read / seen reported, the teenager that died, specifically asked what her sandwich contained & was therefore reassured about her purchase. Following her death, her grandmother also went to the same outlet, purchased the same sandwich & asked if it contained sesame seeds. She was passed information that it didn't.

I agree with the councillor that those with allergies should find out what food stuffs contain before they consume anything & in this tragic case, that appears to have been done.

What I can't understand is why a LOCAL Sheffield councillor has such an intrest in the case, that not only does he feel that need to comment but to also gets it so wrong, (clearly not checked the facts) but is also callous in his comments surrounding the death 14 year old?

I'm surprised it's not made the nationals but don't expect any heartfelt apology anytime soon, we no longer live in that age, even from politicians.

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Strange one this. Why would a local, (Walkley), councillor want to voice such an opinion? Does he have shares in Pret?

As far as I have read / seen reported, the teenager that died, specifically asked what her sandwich contained & was therefore reassured about her purchase. Following her death, her grandmother also went to the same outlet, purchased the same sandwich & asked if it contained sesame seeds. She was passed information that it didn't.

I agree with the councillor that those with allergies should find out what food stuffs contain before they consume anything & in this tragic case, that appears to have been done.

What I can't understand is why a LOCAL Sheffield councillor has such an intrest in the case, that not only does he feel that need to comment but to also gets it so wrong, (clearly not checked the facts) but is also callous in his comments surrounding the death 14 year old?

He appears to have a history of offensive statements on social media about various people based on outraged retweets I have seen (+ posts on facebook about his tweets).

the main thing is the company,the labeling was wrong,i think,but in my opinion if i was allergic to anything,i would say can you make me a sandwich ,not pre-packed ,just to be sure,

I don't think there is any problem with a Councillor voicing an opinion in public. The problem is the deceased apparently asked about the sandwich contents, which blows the Councillors diatribe completely out of the water.

He should fall on his sword immediately, or be removed if it's possible to do so.

Angel1.

Seeing as he has apologized , he knew full well he was out of order.

Heaven forbid they should check their facts before opening their mouth

Attention seeking councillor says something stupid. Don't take it too seriously, if anything your giving him the attention he wants.

Attention seeking councillor says something stupid. Don't take it too seriously, if anything your giving him the attention he wants.

But it is a serious matter since he is an elected official. Do his opinions represent the people who elected him? I doubt it. He needs the public shaming he deserves for his nasty comments.