The Cannon Pub - summat going off?

Can anyone remember what they called the disco they used to have in the basement ?

Back in the 70s, the main bar was in the basement, well you went down steps to it if my memory serves me right.

---------- Post added 24-10-2018 at 11:58 ----------

I had the dubious pleasure of drinking in this famous establishment twice, once in 1986, I think I survived a quick half of bitter before being swamped with people with plastic carrier bags offering knocked off goods. The second time in 1996, survived a full pint this time, before being swamped with characters with carrier bags selling dubiously sourced electrical goods. Fascinating snippet of life though it was in here

Lots of pubs in the Castle Street/ Haymarket area were like that for getting cheap knocked off stuff. I have been offered goods in the Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Hen and Chickens, Kings Arms(top Commercial Street), but somehow the Cannon always gets the knock for it, probably because a lot of clientele were at it, whereas with the others it was just the odd one popping in. Lots of people were scared to go in the Cannon in the 70's , but I found it full of life and had some good laughs in there.

Back in the 70s, the main bar was in the basement, well you went down steps to it if my memory serves me right.

---------- Post added 24-10-2018 at 11:58 ----------

Lots of pubs in the Castle Street/ Haymarket area were like that for getting cheap knocked off stuff. I have been offered goods in the Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Hen and Chickens, Kings Arms(top Commercial Street), but somehow the Cannon always gets the knock for it, probably because a lot of clientele were at it, whereas with the others it was just the odd one popping in. Lots of people were scared to go in the Cannon in the 70's , but I found it full of life and had some good laughs in there.

The B&C Castle House was next door to the Cannon which was convenient to the light fingered brigade, so was the courthouse across the street where a few of them had probably just come from. Also, I thought the bar of the Cannon was on street level.

The B&C Castle House was next door to the Cannon which was convenient to the light fingered brigade, so was the courthouse across the street where a few of them had probably just come from. Also, I thought the bar of the Cannon was on street level.

There was a lounge type bar at ground level but most regulars went downstairs in those days, that was where the likely lads hung out lol. Maybe in later years they turned the basement into a disco and then used the upstairs for regular patrons. The last time I was in there was late 1979 or early 1980. I left the country in 1981, so it had to be way before then.

There was a lounge type bar at ground level but most regulars went downstairs in those days, that was where the likely lads hung out lol. Maybe in later years they turned the basement into a disco and then used the upstairs for regular patrons. The last time I was in there was late 1979 or early 1980. I left the country in 1981, so it had to be way before then.

I only ever went in the Cannon about twice (on weekday afternoons) but that was enough. One time in there was a group of the local (layabout) characters having a big laugh. One of them had been in court-then across the street- and had stolen a policeman's helmet from a point where they had to take them off before going into court and had it proudly on display on a table. The hilarity stopped when two big bobbies burst through the door and without a word spoken, took back the helmet and the miscreant with them.