How do you see Sheffield in 5 years?

Obviously not. While the people of Leeds get The Victoria Shopping arcade .... The people of Sheffield get The Moor Market. Hahahahah

So it's all about the shopping for you, is it?

If you re honest what you are actually angling for with that reply is for people to actually respond so you can have the opportunity to scream racist at them for their answers.

What a bizarre post lol :gag:

I was born in Darnall and have had links there throughout my life, I feel that any one who needs to "seriously" ask that question obviously cannot have the mental capacity to comprehend any answer.

If you re honest what you are actually angling for with that reply is for people to actually respond so you can have the opportunity to scream racist at them for their answers.

Does that mean you want to say something that is obviously racist, but won't because then you'll be called a racist? :huh:

new supermarkets :huh:

Of coarse,

Multicultural supermarkets.

]I walk around Darnall regularly.

Why ? Is it the pink tracksuits on the ladies, the seventies style leather bomber jackets the phlegm covered pavements or the old sofas that draw you.

The type of stuff you don't generally get in Wadsley

Of coarse,

Multicultural supermarkets.

Lidl - I suppose it's multi cultural, German owned isn't it?

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 09:27 ----------

Why ? Is it the pink tracksuits on the ladies, the seventies style leather bomber jackets the phlegm covered pavements or the old sofas that draw you.

The type of stuff you don't generally get in Wadsley

Because I have a friend who lives there.

Because I have a friend who lives there.

Fair enough. I'ts the larger ladies in pink tracksuits and phlegm covered pavements that draws me there though.

Plus my mother in law is after a replacement sofa.

Edited by mickyboy

Lidl - I suppose it's multi cultural, German owned isn't it?

French wine? pretty multicultural.

Northern part of sheffield is not going to get another UK/EU supermarket in five years time. There is a polish/multicultural supermarket in pagehall, looks pretty busy there.

Hello there. I think Sheffield is going to pretty good in 5years. I’m hoping so anyway as I bought a flat there earlier in the year.

Although I’m not from Sheffield I used to visit regularly back in the 90s through football etc and have always liked the place. I’ve been in America for 18 years and I’m moving back to England and I think Sheffield has a lot of potential.

While it’s changed a lot I think so have most towns in Britain.

What is noticeable , and I find usually a good indicator of a place doing well, is the amount of cranes and construction going on.

I’ve spent a bit of time checking out Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham and derby where I lived for 9 years during and after college and I think Sheffield has somuch in its favour.

Leeds is a great place and it’s city centre is much better for shops and entertainment IMO, but I found outside the centre to be lacking, and I also think it’s too spread out.

Sheffields centre is pretty disorganised and a bit crap I think, but The potential is there.it also has some cracking areas on the city’s edges such as walkley, kelham, eccy road, and around bramhall lane amongst others .

When I was in me20s Nottingham was great but after a recent visit there I felt it has stagnated, and derby is dead now, couldn’t believe how quiet it’s become of a night time. It’s city centre used to be thriving and punched above itself but it’s like it’s totally given up.

I don’t wanna get into brexit asi think it’ll affect all towns whether positively or negatively pretty much the same outside of London.

Manchester and Birmingham I think investment has peaked, Newcastle is too far away, Leeds as already stated is a great spot, but I think Sheffield has huge potential.

2 unis in the city centre whereas most campuses are based a few miles out of towns, the tram system, direct train to the capital, on the M1, easily accessible to other big northern towns. It also has that industrial vibe that investors like. Again that’s in the city centre, all the offshoots of the steel industry - I noticed lots of old cutlers factories walking around, I think that’s what made kelham so attractive and I think there could be another kelham type area in the city.

And if the blades or owls got promoted that would give the city further boost and publicity across the globe.

Anyway sorry for rabbiting on, just wanted to say that as a very interested outsider I think Sheffield’s future could be very bright.

Boro, I always think it's so interesting to get the opinion of someone who doesn't live here, as their eyes have a fresher and perhaps a less biased opinion than someone who has lived here a long time. Kelham Island is one of our up-and-coming areas and has been described as a 'little Grenwich village;' lots of investment going on there. Lots of students from outside Sheffield also end up settling here after Uni, so we must be doing something right! So thanks for posting, and I do hope you enjoy living in Sheffield. I think it's a pretty cool place too.

Edited by Anna B

Thanks Anna. I’ve rented out me flat, so I’m not actually living in Sheffield- I’m still in America till Xmas.

Kelham is definitely somewhere I’d like to live , it embraces its industrial heritage and I think that’s Sheffield’s greatest strength. As a kid I used to love travelling on the M1 through Sheffield starring at the cooling towers and the steelworks on the other side, every other town was miles off the slip road but with Sheffield it was right there.

I’m currently in Bushwick in Brooklyn which is an old industrial area and it’s fullof bars and restaurants and it’s a very sought after area to live- youngsters love that feeling of authenticity.

As you say a lot of students stay on in Sheffield and hopefully that will lead to more new bars etc opening up.

Obviously those who’ve lived there all their lives know much more, and I’ve seen a lot of depravation, but as I said I still think it’s a great city and if the council utilise Sheffield’s rich industrial past it’ll have a good future.